- Covington, D. Salvation on Sand Mountain, Fifteenth Anniversary Edition with a new afterword by the author (Fifteenth Anniversary Edition ed., vol. Salvation
on Sand Mountain, pp. 249). Cambridge, MA: DaCapo Press, 2009.
- Redneck Riviera: Armadillos, Outlaws, and the Demise of an American Dream, New York: Counterpoint, 2004.
- Cleaving: The Story of a Marriage,(with Vicki Covington), New York: North Point Press, 1999. Lasso the Moon, New York: Delacorte Press, 1995.
- Salvation on Sand Mountain: Snake Handling and Salvation in Southern Appalachia, Reading, Mass.: Addison-Wesley, 1995.
- Lizard,New York: Delacorte Press, 1991.
Published Creative Activity
- Covington, D. In Gregory Wolfe (Ed.), "The Persistence of Belief" (Number 55 ed.,
pp. 86-88). Seattle, Washington: Image: A Journal of the Arts and Religion.
- Covington, D. (2009). In Becky Bradway, Douglas Hesse (Ed.), From Salvation on Sand Mountain in Creating Nonfiction: A Guide and Anthology (First ed.). New York, NY: Bedford/St. Martin's.
- Covington, D. (2007). In Lee Gutkind (Ed.), "Diagnosis/Cure" (Number 31 ed., pp. 97-105).
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: Creative Nonfiction.
- Covington, D. (2007). "Should We Believe in Belief?" (May, 2007 ed.). Decatur, Georgia:
- Covington, D. (2006). In Laura Payne Butler (Ed.), "Needmore, 1966" (2006th ed., pp.
107-110). Alpine, Texas: New Texas.
- Covington, D. (2005). In Marilyn Robitaille and Donna Walker-Nixon (Ed.), "The Boody
Theater of the Texas Mennonites" (2005-2006 ed., vol. Volume 2, pp. 151-156). Stephenville,
Texas: Langdon Review.
- Covington, D. (2005). In Marc Smirnoff (Ed.), (Issue 49 ed., pp. 112-114). Conway,
Arkansas: Oxford American.
Adaptations and Performances
- Lizard was adapted into a play by Covington, for production at the Alabama Shakespeare Festival
as part of the Southern Writers' Project, 1994, and was selected to be performed at
the Olympic Arts Festival in Atlanta, GA, 1996.