- Usability of Complex Information Systems: Evaluation of User Interaction (pp. 371). Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press (Taylor and Francis). 2010.
- Online Intersex Communities: Virtual Neighborhoods of Support and Activism (pp. 180). Amherst, NY: Cambria Press. 2008.
- Brian Still and Kirk St. Amant (Ed.), Handbook of Research on Open Source Software (pp. 400). Hershey, PA: IGI Press. 2007.
- Usability for a Ubiquitous Computing World. Intercom, 57(7), 31-33. 2010.
- Handbook of Research on Open Source Software: Technological, Economic, and Social
Perspectives. Co-edited with Kirk St. Amant. Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference, 2007.
- Usability Studies and Technical Communication. Co-edited with Michael J. Albers. IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication. (2010).
- Online Health Communication. Co-edited with Amy Koerber. Technical Communication Quarterly. 17.3 (2008).
- Editorial: Technical Communication and Usability Studies. IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication, 53(3), 189-190. (2010).
- Usability of Complex Systems: A Technical Communication Perspective. IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication. (2010).
- The Blank-Page Technique: Reinvigorating Paper Prototyping in Usability Testing. IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication, 53(3), 144-157. (2010).
- Listening to Students: A Usability Evaluation of Instructor Commentary. Journal of Business and Technical Communication, 24(2), 206-233. (2010).
- "More than a Decade after the Birth of Open Source, It's Time for OpenTechComm". Journal of Technical Writing and Communication, 40(2), 219-228. (2010).
- "Guest Editors' Introduction: Online Health Communication." Co-authored with Amy Koerber.
Technical Communication Quarterly. 17.3 (2008): 259-263.
- "Talking to Students: Evaluating the Use of Embedded Voice Commenting for Critiquing
Student Writing." Journal of Business and Technical Communication. 20.4 (2006): 460-475.
- "Internal Cultural Barriers to E-Commerce Implementation: A Case Study of How Ineffective
Leadership Doomed XYZ’s Online Transaction System." Co-authored with Kirk St. Amant.
International Journal of Cases on Electronic Commerce 2.1 (2006): 23-45.
- "Open Source Software: A Perspective for Decision-Making in a Global Age." Co-authored.
Encyclopedia for Multimedia Technology and Networking. Margherita Pagani, ed. Hershey, PA: Idea Group, Inc. 2005: 791-798.
- "Hacking for a Cause." First Monday 10.9 (September 2005).
- "A Syntactic Approach to Readability." Co-authored with Tim Giles. Journal of Technical Writing and Communication 35.1 (2005): 47-70.
- "An Open Source Primer." Internet-Based Workplace Communication: Industry and Academic Applications. Eds. Kirk St. Amant & Pavel Zemliansky. Hershey, PA: Idea Group Inc., 2004: 278-298.
- "Hacking for a Cause." ICFAI Journal of Cyber Law, 5.1 (February 2006): 22-35.
- "An Open Source Primer." Reprinted in Global Information Technologies: Concepts, Tools and Applications. Ed. Felix Tan. Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference, 37-51.