Texas Tech University

Travel Application Process for Grad Students

What funding am I eligible for as a grad student?

Travel funding varies from year to year. For the 2018-2019 academic year $300 will be offered through the department for travel.

You can receive matching amounts from the Graduate School. You can receive this amount alone or you can apply for it in conjunction with the English Department's contribution.

You can only use travel money from the department and graduate school once per fiscal year. 

When should I talk to Ashley Olguin about travel?

  • If you are considering attending a conference, see Ashley ASAP.
  • Even if you think you might not attend the conference, see Ashley anyway.
  • Contact Ashley Olguin via email if you have any questions or stop by her office in 212B

What do I do next?

English Department Funding

If you think your travel expenses will not exceed the department travel amount, request funding only with the English Department. Download the English Department Travel Application; complete the form and submit it to Ashley. Make sure the form is complete or it will be returned to you.

Graduate School Funding

If you would like Grad School funding either alone or in combination with the department's contribution, you should:

Be very thorough in completing your forms. An incomplete form or an incorrectly completed form can cause you to possibly lose travel funding.

What happens to the completed Grad School forms?

First, submit all forms to Ashley including the completed Graduate School Travel Request Application form.

Ashley will then submit the application to the Graduate School once she has the appropriate signatures and makes a copy with the date she sent it to the Graduate School stamped for her records. 

If you want the Graduate School to match you need to submit the forms to Ashley 30 days prior to travel to ensure both parties have time to process the paperwork.

Where do I send the signed forms?

Bring your Graduate School forms to Ashley with your departmental request. You must submit all Graduate School Travel forms and the English Department Letter of Support 30 days before your departure. Travel funds will not be granted on tardy travel requests.

When will I receive my reimbursement?

Reimbursement relies heavily on submission. Have your forms turned in prior to travel and contact Ashley Olguin on return to confirm she has everything needed to ensure smooth reimbursement. 

If everything is submitted and processed expect 2 to 3 business weeks for reimbursement. This timeframe assumes travel services is not busy. It may be longer. 

Read the Wording Carefully

The Graduate School's publication Funding Guidelines contains very specific wording about the procedures for obtaining funds. Below are some important points from this document:

  • Funding allocations are at "the discretion of the executive committee and advisors of the Graduate School".
  • You "will forfeit ALL Graduate School travel funds" if you or any TTU staff person enters an application on the TTUHSC travel system. When you return from your trip, the Grad School MUST process your receipts first if you have requested their support. If you request processing of the English Department's $200 claim first, your Grad School funds are voided.
  • Traveling "without prior approval" for funds makes you ineligible for reimbursement.
  • When "funding is depleted" for the academic year, applications will no longer be processed. Funds can and do run out before the end of the year so apply early.