Texas Tech University

I need to choose a minor or second major

My major is English or Philosophy and I need to choose a minor or a second major.

There is no magic formula for this choice and many factors may influence your decision.

First, look at your undergraduate catalog. If you've lost your copy, view the one online here. You may consider any subject in any college. Read the description of the focus of the department and read the specific requirements of the minor or major. Also read the descriptions of the courses you would have to take. See if there are any additional requirements. As you refine and narrow your search you may have questions that you need to ask the advisor for that department. Their websites may help.

Be sure and look at the Interdisciplinary Programs listed at the beginning of the College of Arts & Sciences section as well. Ignore General Studies. The General Studies degree is a degree of its own and comprises three minors plus the General Degree Requirements for the College of Arts & Sciences and the hours and GPA requirements established by the University. In that same vein there is a University Studies degree offered through the Provost's office. It is a fairly new program and is described in the catalog.

Every minor offered by the University has to have 18 hours worth of courses, six of which must be at the 3000 or 4000 level. But some minors have more hours (21, 24. etc.) and some require more 3000 or 4000 level coursework. Some minors allow you lots of choice. Others mandate most or all of the courses.

Note that if you choose a 2nd major, some majors would put you in the dual degree category rather than the double major category. Here is some information that might be useful:

English and Philosophy earn you a Bachelor of Arts degree. If your choice of a second major also results in a Bachelor of Arts degree and the department that offers that major is part of the College of Arts & Sciences, you are doing a double major.

If, however, your choice of a second major is offered by a department in another college, or, if it results in a degree other than a Bachelor of Arts degree, then you are doing a dual degree. Dual degrees can complicate your life (and also enrich it). Sometimes the College of Arts & Sciences requires students doing a dual degree to have an additional field. For that reason I always refer students to the advisor at the College of Arts & Sciences who oversees the dual degree students for additional information. You may find out who that is here.

Some students choose two or more minors plus their major. Occasionally some will choose to add more than two majors. The addition of programs is your choice and I know of few limits other than the one imposed by the College of Arts & Sciences that you may not do more than one minor from another college.

How do I tell if a major or minor is in another college?

You look it up in the catalog. Since the catalog information is grouped by college, once you are on the page describing the major or minor, you look at which section you are in and that will tell you which college the program is in.

How do I declare my minor or 2nd major?

You don't have to declare it until you file the degree plan and filing the degree plan is the vehicle for declaring all the programs you want credit for on your diploma.