Texas Tech University

Glossary of Terms

Glossary of terms used in this website

Catalog year: When you begin going to Texas Tech determines the specific year. For example, if you entered in either Summer or Fall of a particular year or the Spring of the following year, you will be in the catalog of the academic year that began that Fall. Academic years are indicated with a slash, for instance, 2009/2010. The shorthand for the year is "2009". Obviously, if you begin in Fall 2009, you are in the 2009 catalog. You are also in the 2009 catalog if you entered during Summer 2009 or Spring 2010.

Your catalog year can change. If you transfer from another college within Texas Tech or not enrolled for 3 or more semesters, your catalog will change to reflect your entry/re-entry into the College of Arts & Sciences. Also your catalog will expire after seven years and you will be changed the next catalog year. Suspension can also affect your catalog year.

Concurrent Enrollment Rule: "Concurrent" typically means "at the same time." The 2009/2010 catalog states: "Students who are registered at Texas Tech and wish to register concurrently at another institution must obtain prior written approval from the academic dean of the college in which they are enrolled. This approval apples to all residence courses, extension courses, and distance education courses in progress elsewhere at the time of registration and those begun during the semester." The College of Arts & Sciences typically does not grant such permission except under exceptional circumstances.

Degree plan: This phrase has more than one meaning. When I use it, I mean an official form that your major advisor can give you (sometimes you can get it at the college level) that details the requirements of your program(s), i.e., your major(s) and, possibly, minor(s). In some colleges the requirements are preprinted on the form, but in many the advisor fills in by hand the courses that are required. It is often, but not always, on a multi part form that is pressure sensitive so that one of the copies can be given to you when you turn it in. It is normally turned in at the college level. It is normally required at the end of the sophomore year or when a student earns 60 hours or more.

English and Philosophy majors are required to file a degree plan with the College of Arts and Sciences by the time they earn 60 hours. If the college finds that you have earned 60 or more hours and you do not have a degree plan on file with them, they normally place a hold on your registration so that you cannot add or drop classes until you turn in that form. The procedure for completing the form involves student's making an appointment with their advisor. It normally takes me 15 or 20 minutes.

Intent to Graduate: This is also a form that must be turned into the college and the timing of its submission is college specific.

English and Philosophy majors are required to file the Intent to Graduate by the time they have earned 80 hours. However, the form must be filed at least a calendar year before your graduation month. The date is specific and is usually the Friday before the commencement date, the year before you are planning to graduate. So if you are planning on graduating in May of a particular year, the Intent must be filed by the Friday before the May commencement the year before you are graduating. The Intent to Graduate form can be acquired and filled in for the College of Arts & Sciences in Holden Hall 102. You cannot file the Intent to Graduate before you turn in the Degree Plan.

In order to change your graduation date after you file the Intent to Graduate you contact your Arts & Sciences advisor. It is easy to stay longer in order to finish. It is more paperwork (called a "Petition") in order to graduate earlier than the date you established when you file the Intent. Your best bet is always to put down your earliest possible graduation date and then push it forward if that turns out not to be possible. Keeping your Arts & Sciences advisor apprised of this is common courtesy and saves him or her a great deal of extra time and effort.