February–03 and February–04
Is American Democracy Broken?
The Free Market Institute (FMI) and the Institute for Humane Studies (IHS) at George Mason University co-hosted an IHS On-Campus Education Program as part of their Weekend Exploring Liberty series. The program, titled Is American Democracy Broken?, brought together students and faculty from Texas Tech University for lectures and discussions on topics such as:
- The institutional evolution of American political economy;
- Philosophical perspectives on the nature and operation of participatory democratic systems;
- The relationship of the electoral college to the American federal system;
- The political economy of secession; and
- Economic perspectives on domestic and international policy issues that were prevalent during the election.
The program featured keynote remarks from Prof. Randall Holcombe (DeVoe Moore Professor of Economics at Florida State University and Dr. Jason Brennan (Provost's Distinguished Associate Professor of Strategy, Economics, Ethics, and Public Policy at Georgetown University), as well as remarks from several faculty members affiliated with the Free Market Institute at Texas Tech University.