Dr. Guofeng Cao
Phone: (806) 834-8920
- B.Sc. Earth Sciences with minor in Computer Science, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China, 2001
- M.Sc. Institute of Geographic Sciences and Natural Resources Research, Beijing, China, 2004
- M.A. Statistics and Applied Probability, University of California, Santa Barbara, 2009
- Ph.D. Geography, University of California, Santa Barbara, 2011
- Geographic Information Systems
- Spatial Statistics
My research primarily involves geographic information science and the the application of formal (mathematical and computational), visual and geospatial techniques (e.g., GIS, GPS and remote sensing ) to spatio-temporal aspects of theoretical and methodological problems within the areas of environmental science and engineering, public health, urban dynamics, petroleum engineering, and quantitative methodology.
Current research topics include representation and modeling of spatiotemporal changes/dynamics, location-based social media data analysis, heterogeneous spatiotemporal data fusion, spatial cognition, and applications of extremely high performance computing cyberinfrastructure (e.g. XSEDE) to addressing the computing challenges of these research topics when facing 'big' spatiotemporal problems.
- GIST 4302/5302 - Spatial Analysis and Modeling
- GEOG 5330 - Applied Spatial and Spatiotemporal Analysis
- Co-Director, Center for Geospatial Technology