RICHARD E. PETERSON
Dr. Richard Peterson
Professor of Geosciences
Office: BA 1205
B.S. in Physics, California Institute of Technology, 1963
M.S. in Geophysical Sciences, University of Chicago, 1964
Ph.D. in Atmospheric Science, University of Missouri, 1971
- Development and implementation of Texas Tech field observation systems, Preprints, Fifth Symposium onIntegrated Observation Systems, Albuquerque, New Mexico, 191-195 (with M. Conder, A. Doggett, G. Skwira and S. Weinbeck) 2001.
- Integrated observations of convective weather at
, Preprints, Fifth Symposium on Integrated Observation Systems, Albuquerque, New Mexico, 196-198 (with A. Doggett, S. Weinbeck, J. Howard., M. Conder and W. Burgett), 2001. Texas Tech University
- Hurricane winds at landfall simulated by
Monte Carlomethods. Preprints, Eighth Intl. Meeting Statistical Climatology, (with G. Skwira and D. Smith), 2001. Lüneberg, Germany
- Radar-derived analysis of the 3 May 1999
tornado and comparison to damage estimates. Proc., Oklahoma City Conf. Wind Engin., Americas (with E. Shaw, J. Kruse, and K. Simmons, D. Smith and M. Thompson), 2001. Clemson, South Carolina
tornado outbreak: a wind damage-economic loss interface. Proc., Oklahoma City Conf. Wind Engin., Americas (with J. Kruse, E. Shaw, K. Simmons, D. Smith and M. Thompson), 2001. Clemson, South Carolina
- Gust factor analysis of tropical cyclone winds. Proc., Third European African Conf. Wind Engin.,
(with M. Conder), 2001. Eindhoven, Netherlands
- Site characterization of the Texas Tech Wind Engineering Research Field Laboratory using gust factor analysis. Proc., Third European African Conf. Wind Engin.,
(with M. Conder and D. Smith), 2001. Eindhoven, Netherlands
- Tornadoes in the former Soviet Union. Proc., Third EuropeanConf.WindEngin.,Eindhoven,Netherlands,2001.
- A 20-year synoptic climatology of the South Plains dryline. Preprints, Eighteenth Conf. Wea.,Forecasting
(with M. Conder and A. Doggett), 2001. Ft.Lauderdale, Florida
- Mesoscale numerical models and field
observations platforms to evaluate airborne transport of hazardous
substances in the boundary layer. Preprints, Ninth Conf. Mesoscale Processes,
(with A. Doggett, T. Gill and C.-B. Chang), 2001.Mesoscale processes and transport of hazardous substances in the urban atmospheric boundary layer. Proc., Third Intl. Symp. Environ. Hydraulics, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida (with C.B. Chang, T. Gill and A. Doggett), 2001. Tempe, Arizona
- Destructive thunderstorms in
. Proc., Fifth Asia-Pacific Conf. Wind Engin., Kyoto, Japan, 368-371 (with A. Dewan and K. Mehta), 2001. Bangladesh
- Integrated assessment of regional dust transport form west
and Texas , spring, 1999. Eleventh Joint Conf. Appl. Air Pollution Meteor. Air Waste Manage. Assn., (with T. Gill, D. Westphal and G. Stephens), 2002. New Mexico
- Self-limiting blowing dust mechanism. Preprints, Intl. Conf. Aeolian Research,
, 2002. Lubbock, Texas
- Damaging nor’westers in
. Preprints, Twenty-first Conf. Severe Local Storms, Bangladesh (with A. Dewan), 2002. San Antonio, Texas
- Mesoscale analysis of the dryline on
29 May 2001with attendant severe convection. . Preprints, Twenty-first Conf. Severe Local Storms, San Antonio, Texas, 389-392 (with M. Conder, G. Skwira, A. Doggett IV and C-B Chang), 2002.
- Meteorological characteristics of severe wind and dust emission event:
Southwestern USA6-7 April 2001. Preprints, Twenty-first Conf. Severe Local Storms, San Antonio, Texas, 663-666 (with A. Doggett IV, T. Gill, A. Bony and P. Biscaye), 2002.
- Russian/FSU tropical cyclone research: the last 25 years. Preprints, Twenty-fifth Conf. Hurricanes Tropical Meteorology,
, 513-514 (with P. Black and V. Pudov), 2002.. San Diego
- Surface observations of landfalling hurricanes along the
and Atlantic coastline. Preprints, Twenty-fifth Conf. Hurricanes Tropical Meteorology, United States Gulf , 7-8 (with G. Skwira, D. Smith, C.-B. Chang and A. Doggett), 2002. San Diego
- Observations of a localized thunderstorm outflow in an urban area. Preprints, Fourth Symp. Urban Environment,
(with A. Doggett, M. Conder, T. Gill, C.-B. Chang and J. Schroeder), 2002. Norfolk
- Nor’wester damage and deaths in
. Proc., Eleventh International Conf. Wind Engineering, Bangladesh (with A. Dewan), 2003. Lubbock, Texas
- Comparison of model predictions to surface observations for an oscillating dryline. Preprints, Tenth Conf. Mesoscale Processes,
(with M. Conder et al.), 2003. Portland, Oregon
- Transition in onshore boundary layer winds during the landfall of Hurricane Lili (2002). Preprints, Twenty-sixth Conf. Hurricanes Trop. Meteor.,
(with J. Howard et al.), 2004. Miami, Florida
- A climatological study on the landfalling tropical cyclones of Bangladesh, Preprints, Twenty-sixth Conf. Hurricanes Trop. Meteor.,
(with T. Islam), 2004. Miami, Florida
- Mesocyclone induced severe weather winds within derecho producing mesoscale convective systems (DMCSs). Preprints, Twenty-second Conf. Severe Local Storms,
(with Hyannis, Massachusetts S. Liebl), 2004.
- An evaluation of mesoscale model simulations of an oscillating dryline. Preprints, Twenty-second Conf. Severe Local Storms,
(with M. Conder), 2004. Hyannis, Massachusetts
- Three representative case studies of the South Plains low level jet. Preprints, Tenth
Conf. Wind Engineering, Americas (with Baton Rouge, Louisiana I.Giammanco), 2005.
- Doctoral Degree in Wind Science and Engineering. Tenth
Conf. Wind Engineering, Americas (with K. C. Mehta, Baton Rouge, Louisiana S. Basu, and A. Swift), 2005.
- Three representative case studies of the South Plains nocturnal low-level jet. Proceedings, Forty-fourth AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting,
(with I. Giammanco, and Andy Swift), 2005. Reno, Nevada
- Alfred Wegener’s tornado research and his influence on Johannes Letzmann: Scientific achievements decades ahead of their time. Proceedings, Second International Alfred Wegener Symp.,
Bremerhaven, Germany(with N. Dotzek, A. M. Holzer, and C. Lüdecke), 2005.
- Jason T. Branz, Analysis of the 30 April 2000 Supercell Event, M.S. thesis, August 2001
- Erin P. Shaw, The 3 May 1999 Tornado Outbreak: Radar Damage Analysis for Oklahoma County, M.S. thesis, May 2002
- Gary Skwira, Surface Observations of Landfalling Hurricane Rainbands: Case Studies of Hurricane Bonnie (1998) and Dennis (1999), Ph.D. dissertation, March 2003 James Robert Howard, Coastal Transition within the Boundary Layer of Tropical Cyclones at Landfall, Ph.D. dissertation, December 2004
- Shawn Liebl, Initiation, Evolution and Demise of Derecho Producing Mesocale Convective Systems, M.S. thesis, June 2004
- Greg Crabtree, Dustfall on the Southern High Plains of Texas, M.S. thesis, December 2005
- Ian Giammanco, South Plains Low-level Jet, M.S. thesis, August 2005
- Bavuudorj Ovgor, Wind Energy Assessment of West Texas Mesonet, M.S. thesis, August 2005
- Mark Conder, Characteristics of the Quiescent Dryline from a Case Study Perspective, Ph.D. dissertation, August 2005
- Steve Weinbeck, Development of West Texas Mesonet and Supporting Instrumentation, Ph.D. dissertation, August 2005
- Characterizing Turbulence during Extreme Wind Events,
ARP ($68,757, 2000-1). Texas
- Cooperative Agreement for a Wind
Mitigation Initiative, National Institute of Standards and Technology,
multiple investigators ($2,362,498, 2004; $1,700,353, 2005).
- IGERT: Multidisciplinary Program in Wind Science and Engineering, National Science Foundation, multiple investigators ($267,187 2003; $460,522, 2004; $505,671, 2005)
Amospheric vortices (hurricanes and tornadoes); boundary-layer meteorology; dynamics of severe storms; duststorms; history of meteorology; wind engineering.