Course Additions, Changes, and Deletions
Please note that this abbreviated guideline for course additions, changes, and deletions
coincides with OP 36.01.
- Please find the Application for Course Approval form on the Institutional Research website at http://www.irim.ttu.edu/. From the right-hand list, select Course Inventory and then select Graduate Three-Page Form (EXCEL File)
- The top portion of the form is to be completed for ALL requests. Note: The Texas CIP
Codes can be found on the Graduate School CIP Lookup page.
- Adding a Course - Complete the ADD portion of the form and both the Academic and Resource JUSTIFICATIONs sections at
the bottom of the form. Please note that a syllabus is required and it must conform
to the university standards which are discussed in the Outcomes and Assessments Handbook put out by the TLTC.
- Course Changes - Complete the CHANGE portion of the form and the Academic JUSTIFICATION section. Please note that a syllabus is required.
- Dual-listed Courses - If a course addition or change will be dual-listed with an undergraduate course,
please follow the steps above and attach the undergraduate syllabus and graduate syllabus.
Also, please provide a detailed explanation of the difference between the undergraduate
and graduate level of work to be expected and how the grading is different for the
two levels of the course. Finally, provide a justification (separate from that described
below) as to why a dual-listed course is needed as opposed to a graduate course only.
- Deleting a Course - Please complete the DELETE section of the form and the Academic JUSTIFICATION section, or a reason for the deletion.
- Justification sections - The Academic JUSTIFICATION should state how the new course or the change is a part of the body of knowledge
for the program, how it will benefit the students in the program, how the course could
benefit students from other programs (if applicable), and anything else you determine
to be appropriate. If applicable, suggested wording for a justification is:
This _________class will be part of the _________ program where students will be exposed
to the principles of ____________ by understanding the concepts of _______________
(list the key knowledge elements). This class is important to the program because
_________ (state that it is a missing component of something, advances the program
with current knowledge, required for the new accreditation requirements, or some such
The Resource JUSTIFICATION should include information to justify that you have the resources currently available
to teach the class on the schedule you expect to teach this new course without changing
the current faculty workload. This can be stated by such things as a new faculty hire
(not a replacement hire) or reallocation of faculty positions that allow more time
for teaching, or other such explanation.
- Complete the new Course Addition Worksheet and submit it along with the course approval form.
- Once the application is completed, please submit the form in Excel, the PDF worksheet
and the syllabus electronically to email@example.com. Then print the completed form and secure the required signatures.
- Signatures - Please secure the signature of the Department Chairperson and the College Dean.
Attach the syllabus to the form (if it has not been submitted electronically) and
submit to Melissa Carrillo, Graduate School, Mailstop 1030.
- Approval Process - The approval process will begin as soon as the electronic application is received
in the Graduate School. However, the application will not go to the Graduate Council
until the hard copy with signatures is received. The approval process is below:
- Melissa Carrillo/Dr. Clifford Fedler
- Academic Programs Committee (meets 2 weeks prior to Graduate Council)
- Graduate Council (usually meets the 1st Thursday of each month, academic year)
- Academic Council (usually meets the 1st Tuesday of each month)
Download a Print Version of this Information