Graduate Enrollment Enhancement Program (GEEP)
Please Note: All expenditures on GEEP funds must be submitted with a travel voucher, purchase order, or procurement card.
The purpose of the Enrollment Enhancement Fund is to assist departments in their recruitment efforts. Typically, funding is used for matching funds already provided by the applicant’s department or college (50% of total funding).
Proposals must be submitted at least 10 days prior to the proposed recruitment activity.
What Gets Funded?
One of the most successful uses of Enrollment Enhancement funding has been to support student visits to the campus. Other uses of these funds have included support for Tech recruiting booths at national or regional conferences, buying names from the ETS (Educational Testing Service) Locater Service, and setting up contacts in the region.
Some activities that have previously been funded include the following:
|Faculty Recruitment Activities: The Graduate School may subsidize part of any trip that is going to be used, in part, for recruiting. Faculty must make a compelling case for the focus of recruiting activities on the trip when applying for GEEP funding. Such travel will receive reduced support (a maximum of 25% of total funding). We can furnish pens, bookmarks, and other promotional materials for your booth.|
|Brochures, departmental literature: Mention of the Graduate School’s website must be made on the brochure when requesting shared funding. The Graduate S chool may be able to assist in the design and printing of brochures and other literature.|
|Innovative Ideas: Buying names; special projects to increase recruitment from Mexico and Latin America; special initiatives with the National Physical Science Consortium; special partnerships with master’s-only institutions; and initiating efforts to establish permanent exchanges between institutions, etc.|
What Doesn’t Get Funded?
|General Faculty Travel: While it is recognized that many faculty do recruit potential students to do graduate work at professional meetings, it is also part of their professional obligations. A case must be made for why the Graduate School should subsidize part of a trip.|
|Entertainment and food: These funds cannot be used for food or entertainment costs for prospective students.|
Guidelines for Completing the Application:
- In the box labeled, Type of Enhancement, please be as specific as possible when describing how you propose to use the requested funds. Mention should be made of how previous GEEP funding has been successfully used. Priority will be given to student visits to campus and innovative ideas.
- For Support Requested from the Graduate School and Estimate of Component Cost, please give actual or estimated costs as follows:
- travel: amount for air, hotel, etc.;
- student visit: meals, travel, hotel, etc.;
- literature: associated costs;
- faculty travel to conferences: a copy of the invoice for the cost of a booth at a national or regional convention is required;
- other: be as detailed as possible about projected expenses for program you are requesting funding for.
- GEEP applications are reviewed by the Graduate School Deans. Applicants receive an e-mail confirmation/commitment with instructions on how to proceed.
Reporting on Funded Activities
Awardees are required to submit a report on the funded activity to the office of the Dean of the Graduate School. Examples of reports on enhancement activities:
- Campus Visit
- Promotional Literature
- Other: be sure to include a summary of how the money was spent and how the activity benefitted graduate education and your department. Be as specific as possible and use demonstrable measures of success wherever possible.
All reports are reviewed to assess the success of the program and may influence future GEEP funding.