Employee Tuition Assistance Waiver
Texas Tech employees may qualify for an Employee Tuition Assistance waiver, which will waive tuition and fees for one course per semester for fall, spring, and summer terms.
Gelin Emergency Loan Fund
The Mr. and Mrs. Carl H. Gelin Loan Fund was established by the estate of the late Carl H. Gelin. Mr. Gelin studied Engineering at Texas Tech University from 1939-1941. He was a member of the Texas Tech Ex-Students Association and an avid supporter of the University. Understanding the need for graduate education, Mr. Gelin established a $1 million endowment to assist graduate students at Texas Tech.
The loan program provided by Mr. Gelin is designed to financially help students in a number of ways, such as: family emergencies or other unexpected events. The goal of this loan is to provide students with an interest-free, quick and easy alternative to the traditional loan process.
The Mr. and Mrs. Carl H. Gelin Loan Fund is available to any graduate student working on a graduate degree or certification program at Texas Tech University or Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center. All applicants must be on campus and must be full-time graduate students with a financial need and in good standing with the Graduate School.
- Loans of $500 or less
- Complete the online application to the Graduate School to be approved by the Dean.
- Amounts of $500 or less must be paid back within 120 days, at 5% interest, after the loan is received.
- Loans of More than $500 and up to $2,500
For loans that total more than $500, the process involves a slightly more detailed application, which is available in the Graduate School or online.
- A committee will review the application and selection will be based on need.
- Repayment of loans for this amount begins the month after the student receives the funds and the monthly payments typically range from $50-$100.
- The loan must be paid back by the time the student graduates or leaves Texas Tech at 0% interest.