The Mr. and Mrs. Carl H. Gelin Loan Fund was established by the estate of the late Carl H. Gelin. Mr. Gelin studied Engineering at Texas Tech University from 1939-1941. He was a member of the Texas Tech Ex-Students Association and an avid supporter of the University. Understanding the need for graduate education, Mr. Gelin established a $1 million endowment to assist graduate students at Texas Tech.
The loan program provided by Mr. Gelin is designed to financially help students in a number of ways, such as: family emergencies or other unexpected events. The goal of this loan is to provide students with an interest-free, quick and easy alternative to the traditional loan process.
The Mr. and Mrs. Carl H. Gelin Loan Fund is available to any graduate student working on a graduate degree or certification program at Texas Tech University or Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center. All applicants must be on campus and must be full-time graduate students with a financial need and in good standing with the Graduate School.
Loans of $500 or less
- Complete the online application to the Graduate School to be approved by the Dean.
- Amounts of $500 or less must be paid back within 120 days, at 5% interest, after the loan is received.
Loans of More than $500 and up to $2,500
For loans that total more than $500, the process involves a slightly more detailed application, which is available in the Graduate School or online.
- A committee will review the application and selection will be based on need.
- Repayment of loans for this amount begins the month after the student receives the funds and the monthly payments typically range from $50-$100.
- The loan must be paid back by the time the student graduates or leaves Texas Tech at 0% interest.