Graduate Scholarships and Fellowships at Texas Tech University
The Graduate School scholarship application generally asks for a personal statement of your academic and career goals, a resumé, and transcripts. Only some scholarships require you to provide letters of recommendation or a nomination letter from the faculty advisor. For additional information check each scholarship's requirements and eligibility criteria. If asked to supply any of the following, please use these guidelines while preparing the necessary documents:
- Career and Financial Statement --
Describe the following:
- your career goals and how this award will help you achieve those goals,
- how you have financed your education thus far -- mention any current or past fellowships, scholarships or tuition waivers you have received and any financial hardships you have overcome,
- activities in which you have taken leadership roles and/or participated in; community service activities
- Advisor/Chair Statement -- Respond to the following prompts: a) What impact will this fellowship have on recruiting this individual to Texas Tech for graduate study? b) Why will the granting of a fellowship to this student be good for Texas Tech and this particular student? (Include factors like letters of recommendation, previous publications or creative achievements, leadership background or potential, contribution to diversity in program, previous higher education institution, research background, personal interview, socio-economic status, etc.)
- Student's Research Proposal (Summer Thesis/Dissertation Research Award Only) -- Submit a two-page, thesis format (single-spaced) outline or description of your dissertation or thesis project in non-technical language, stressing the work to be completed over the summer session. The description should not include references.
- Letters of recommendation (nomination) -- A letter of recommendation is not required for every graduate school application. Whenever a letter of recommendation is optional you may, at your discretion, include one or two letters of recommendation. Check individual descriptions to see whether a letter is required or optional.
- Transcripts -- You need to include transcripts from your current program as well as your immediate prior program. An unofficial copy of your Texas Tech transcript can be obtained from the RaiderLink Portal. Official transcripts are not required.