HESS Graduate Admission Requirements
An overall profile of the student is the deciding factor in admission decisions. The graduate program committee will review all admission criteria outlined below and make a decision concerning admission.
Deadline dates for graduate application applicants:
- Fall - August 1st
- Spring - December 1st
- Summer - May 1st
- Candidate Statement
- An undergraduate degree in Exercise & Sport Sciences (ESS) or a related field from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in the last 60 hours of undergraduate and graduate coursework.
- Demonstration of academic achievement and potential as indicated by the results of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- Three letters of recommendation (preferably from Academic Professors).
- Other evidence of background and experience that may be available.
- TOEFL score of at least 213 (computer) or 550 (written) for those students for whom English is a foreign language.
Step 1: Apply to the TTU Graduate School
When you are ready to apply to the TTU Graduate School, you should ask the schools where you studied before to send a copy of your official transcripts to the Director of Graduate Admissions at Texas Tech.
If you have taken the GRE, you should request the Educational Testing Service to report your scores to the Dean of the Graduate School. You can view the university Graduate Catalog online.
Step 2: Candidate Statement
The departmental application requires a candidate statement from the student along with three letters of recommendation sent directly to the Graduate Program Assistant. The candidate statement is an essay in which you describe your interest in seeking a graduate degree in Exercise Science or Sport Management. The statement must include reasons for applying to the HESS graduate program and to Texas Tech, academic goals, career goals, research interests, etc. You should use the statement to convey a fuller picture beyond the scope of a review of past academic records and test scores.
- Exercise Science
- Sport Management
Step 3: Fill-out the HESS Graduate Application
Click here to download the Graduate application for the HESS Department.
Make sure you have the most up-to-date version of the Free Adobe Reader before downloading: