How It Works
The outdoor instructors provide independent school districts with a pre-visit at the school campus to teach students primers. Once students arrive at The Outdoor Academy they are ready to learn and gain knowledge rather than focusing on basic skills. After the students visit, the outdoor school, outdoor school instructors return to the school for a closing lesson. This provides a continuation and reinforcement of outdoor school skills and techniques.
Every moment is a teachable moment at The Outdoor Academy. Besides covering TEA required TEKS, students will learn to keep their dorm neat and also learn to set a table, use manners and proper etiquette. The students will learn the 3C’s: Communication, Cooperation and Commitment, teambuilding skills that will prepare them for real life situations.
The Outdoor Academy not only teaches the students, it also provides professional development for the classroom teacher. Teachers earn SBEC credit for attending and participating in outdoor activities. Teachers will also receive pre-visit and post-visit lesson plans to begin and continue outdoor learning.
Prepare for the Outdoor School Academy
- Teacher Checklist
- What to Bring
- Complete and return the required forms to the Outdoor School via mail, e-mail or fax.
- Mail: The Outdoor School, P.O. Box 186, Junction, Texas 76849
- Fax: 325-446-4011
- E-mail: Scan and email to email@example.com
- Required Teacher Forms – Teachers must submit the completed forms one week before the excursion.
- Required Parent/Legal Guardian Forms – Parents/legal guardians must complete these forms.