Undergradute to Pharmacy School Initative with the TTUHSC School of Pharmacy
Cultivating Outstanding, Well-Rounded Professionals
The joint TTU-TTUHSC UPSI Program offers an exciting opportunity to select Honors College students by allowing them to waive the PCAT (Pharmacy College Admissions Test) and to apply early to the TTUHSC’s School of Pharmacy (SOP).
By meeting the special requirements and deadlines of this joint program between Texas Tech University (TTU) and Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Pharmacy (TTUHSC SOP), a select group of entering freshmen is guaranteed admission to TTUHSC SOP without the PCAT requirement.
Related Programs of Interest:
- MD/MBA (Heath Organization Management) Program
- JD/MD (TTU Law/TTUHSC) Program
- Honors Arts and Letters (HAL) Health and Humanities Track
- Must be a Texas resident
- High school senior classification
- Minimum SAT of 1300 or an ACT of 29
- Preference will be given to students in the top 10% of high school class
- Minimum high school GPA of 3.7 in a college preparatory curriculum
Honors College Requirement
Students must apply and be admitted to TTU and the Honors College as entering freshmen, before the application process for UPSI starts. UPSI students are required to spend four years as undergraduates at TTU and demonstrate significant evidence of health-related activities in a pharmacy, hospital or clinical setting before entering the School of Pharmacy.
Students accepted into the UPSI program are required to complete the Honors College requirements as well. Completion of the required coursework, activities, and events in the Honors College are a condition of matriculation to TTUHSC SOP.
The main steps of the program
- Applications to Texas Tech University and the Honors College
- School of Pharmacy application (in September of their second year in the Honors College)
- Interview at the School of Pharmacy
- Notification of the outcome
- Acceptance offers are made in the fall semester of the second year
- Students are required to accept or decline the offer within two weeks
- Alternates are selected and notified at the same time
- Students accepted to UPSI cannot apply to other pharmacy schools
Undergraduate requirements at Texas Tech
UPSI students are welcome to pursue a major of their choice. However, the following prerequisite courses must be completed by all in the program:
|General Chemistry (for majors), with lab 8 SCH*||Human-based sciences 3 SCH*||Calculus 3 SCH*||English Comp I 3 SCH **|
|Organic Chemistry, with lab 8 SCH*||Speech (public speaking) 3 SCH*||Statistics 3 SCH*||English Comp II 3 SCH **|
|General Physics (trig or calculus based), with lab 4 SCH*||Humanities/Social Sciences 15 SCH minimum**||Economics, macro (preferred) or micro 3 SCH*||English Literature 3 SCH **|
|General Biology (for majors), with lab 8 SCH*|
|Microbiology, with lab 4 SCH*|
*- These courses will be used to calculate the pre-pharmacy grade point average (PPGPA)
**- If you have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited U.S. college or university prior to enrolling in the School of Pharmacy, you will be exempt from these courses.
Maintaining UPSI Qualifications
- UPSI students must take all coursework and prerequisites at Texas Tech University
and the Honors College GPAs
- All UPSI students must maintain a 3.7 overall GPA
- All UPSI students must maintain a 3.6 pre-pharmacy GPA
- Students wishing to earn credits from universities other than TTU will need to make an appeal to the Dean of the College.
- Matriculation will occur four years from acceptance into the UPSI program and is dependent on completion of an undergraduate degree and maintenance of program requirements.
- UPSI students must be in good standing in the Honors College
- UPSI students must meet all requirements of the Program Guidelines
- UPSI students must show evidence of continued health care related and non-related activities
NOTE: Criminal background checks will be completed on all students matriculating to TTUHSC School of Pharmacy