Contracting for Honors Course Credit
Contracting allows an Honors student to earn Honors credit for a non-Honors course by completing work beyond what is required in the course. Contracting is one of four ways students may substitute for upper-level Honors credit. The other methods are a Study Abroad Waiver, taking graduate courses, and completing graduate-level work in cross-listed undergraduate courses. Students may only substitute up to six upper-level Honors credits, using any combination of these four substitution methods.
- Only 3000- and 4000-level courses meeting face-to-face are eligible for contracting.
- Student must receive a grade of B- or better in the course and satisfactorily complete the approved project.
- Applications are due by the tenth class day of the semester.
- Changes to the contract must be submitted in writing and approved by the Contracting Coordinator within the first four weeks of the semester.
- Contracts may be cancelled prior to the Friday of the eighth full-week of class by submitting a written cancellation notice to the Contracting Coordinator.
- Projects are due to the Contracting Coordinator three weeks before the last class day of the semester.
- Students cannot contract a course in their graduating semester.
- No contracts in summer sessions.
- A substantial, Honors worthy project (15-20 page research paper OR a project of equivalent time/effort) that enhances course material and does not duplicate an assignment on syllabus.
- Sharing the knowledge/skills/experiences gained through completion of the project with an audience (the class, student organization, or other).
- Regular contact with the professor outside of class to discuss the student’s progress and answer questions regarding the paper/project.
The Application Process
- Meet with Contracting Coordinator to obtain a contracting application and discuss the proposed project.
- Meet with the professor to discuss an appropriate project, the way in which you will share your project with an audience, and a general meeting schedule.
- Complete the form with the professor of the contracted course.
- Submit both the completed application and the course syllabus to the Honors College Contracting Coordinator within the first 10 class days of the semester.
To discuss contracting in more detail, please make an appointment to meet with Lori Lightfoot, the Honors Contracting Coordinator.