Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship
WHO SHOULD APPLY
- Sophomores and juniors interested in pursuing research in math, the natural sciences or engineering with the goal of earning a doctoral degree in these areas.
- GPA 3.0 or better plus upper 25% of class
- However, a significantly higher GPA has become an informal requirement to succeed TTU Selection Committee requires, in order to be competitive for the TTU campus endorsement selection, the following GPAs:
- Sophomore applicants: cumulative GPA above 3.4, major GPA above 3.6
- Junior applicants: cumulative GPA above 3.5, major GPA above 3.7
- Applicants below these averages may appeal to the Campus Committee (through the advisor) with special circumstances prior to the campus deadline
- The strongest applicants are traditionally those with a 4.0 GPA and a very strong research statement of what they have done and where they are taking the project. Those who have participated in research for at least a year will generally have a better grasp of their projects and may have made research presentations or have publications
- The committee is looking for those with outstanding potential
- The applicant must be a U.S. citizen or resident alien intending to obtain US citizenship
- TTU can nominate UP TO FOUR students per award year to the national level
WHEN SHOULD YOU APPLY
Sophomore and Junior campus deadline for a completed application is Friday, December 4, 2009, 5pm All completed application packet materials, including letters of recommendation must be submitted to scholarship advisor, Janet Veal by this time. Prospective applicants should contact Janet Veal as soon as possible in order to complete all application requirements in a timely manner. Due to the competitive nature of the selection, no late materials, including letters of recommendation are accepted.
- Awards are for one year for senior year, or up to two years for junior and senior year funding.
- Up to maximum of $7500.00 per year, including tuition, fees, books, room and board.
- TTU students have won a total of 31 Goldwater scholarships since 1994.
Application materials and forms may be downloaded from the Goldwater website: www.act.org/goldwater Be aware that all transcripts, letters of recommendation, essays and other form information must be completed and submitted by campus deadline.
Contact scholarship advisor for appointment:
|Janet Veal||105 McClelan Hall|