Membership in the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi is earned. Admission is by invitation only and requires nomination and approval by a chapter. The governing bylaws of the Society set extremely high standards for membership:
- Under graduate students in any department of a college or university having a Phi Kappa Phi chapter who have completed at least twenty-four (24) semester hours or the equivalent at that institution.
- Because Phi Kappa Phi recognizes and promotes academic excellence in all fields of higher education, one's field of study may be in any discipline.
- Juniors must have completed at least seventy-two credit hours and rank scholastically in the top 7.5 percent of their class.
- Seniors must rank in the top 10 percent of their class.
- Graduate students must rank in the upper 10 percent of their class.
- Eligibility may be determined separately for each academic unit within a member institution, e.g., department, school or college.
- Transfer credits are considered in determining class rank.
- Faculty, professional staff, and alumni who have achieved scholarly distinction also may be eligible for membership.