Texas Tech University

Contract Information

Limitation Of Liability

Although reasonable precautions are taken to maintain adequate security, the university cannot guarantee the safety of and does not assume any legal obligation to pay for injury to persons, or loss or damage to items of personal property, which occurs in its buildings or on its grounds prior to, during, or subsequent to the period of the contract. The student and their guarantor are encouraged to carry appropriate insurance to cover such losses. Refunds are not made for meals missed, special diets, religious activities, employment, class schedule conflicts, mechanical, heating/air conditioning, plumbing, electrical malfunctions, or for any other reason.

Contract Conditions

The University Student Housing and Hospitality Services Contract is a legally binding agreement and should be read completely before the student and/or guarantor signs the contract. The contract is valid for the specific academic term(s) or the remainder thereof.

Registered sex offenders and students convicted of any felony are not permitted to live in university-owned housing which includes the university residence halls.

Vacancies in Carpenter/Wells, Murray Hall, Talkington Hall, Gordon, and West Village

When a roommate in a suite or an apartment moves, the remaining residents may request a roommate of their choice by contacting University Student Housing at 806-742-2661 or by visiting the Welcome Center in Wiggins Complex. Any person requested by the remaining residents must meet the eligibility requirements for residence in Carpenter/Wells and West Village. Should the residents not have a preferred roommate; University Student Housing will assign an eligible person to the vacancy. Other residents of an apartment or suite may not occupy or use, in any way, a vacant bedroom space.

Single Room Apartment and Suites

Students assigned to Carpenter/Wells, Murray Hall, Talkington Hall and West Village Halls receive a single occupancy bedroom within the apartment or suite and therefore, are not subject to Room Optimization (See below). Refer to "Vacancies in Carpenter/Wells, Murray Hall and West Village" above.

Double Rooms

Most rooms in traditional halls are double occupancy rooms with the double room rate.

Triple Rooms

University Student Housing offers the option for residents to reside in a triple occupancy room. Fall 2019 - Spring 2020 academic year, triple occupancy rooms will be located in the following residence halls:

  • Knapp Hall 1st Floor - Female
  • Horn Hall 1st Floor – Female
  • Sneed Hall 1st Floor - Male
  • Bledsoe 1st Floor – Male

A triple occupancy room includes movable furniture that residents must keep in the space throughout the entire term of occupancy. These spaces have been approved by the fire marshal for triple occupancy and residents who elect to live in this type of space will receive a reduced rate that is lower than the standard double occupancy room rate.

Room Optimization Process

Students who lose a roommate and elect not to pay the single room rate must move in with another student or accept a roommate. If the students do not reach an agreement as to who will move, University Student Housing will decide according to application and assignment information. Students who are given the opportunity and elect to use the room as a single or fail to optimize, are subject to the additional single room charge per semester.

The Room Optimization process begins on the first class day. Students in double-occupancy rooms who were not assigned a roommate or who lost a roommate will be given the following options:

  • Optimize with another student by moving to their room.
  • Optimize by having another student move into their room. If space is available the following option may be added:
  • Contract the room as a single room.
  • The single room fee will be applied per semester.

Students who do not immediately receive a roommate should not occupy the entire space.

University Student Housing may assign a new roommate at any time. If the new roommate is not able to move in due to space being used, the student will be charged a single room fee effective to the date their room first became a single.
An email is sent from University Student Housing to the student who has lost a roommate notifying them of their options. An assignment to a specific room will be made based on the criteria listed above.

Residence Halls

University Student Housing is a self-supporting unit within the university, which does not receive state funding. The Board of Regents determines room rates at levels needed to meet operating and replacement costs. These rates are based on a normal occupancy of two students in each room. When a student occupies a room as a single, an extra charge is assessed to cover fixed operating costs.

A limited number of single rooms may be available in the residence halls after occupancy. Single rooms are available on a first-come, first served basis. As vacancies occur during the academic year, a student may request a single room by contacting their hall office. There is an additional charge per semester for single rooms. Single room requests may be rescinded if necessary due to a potential overflow in housing needs.

A single room guarantees the student that a roommate will not be assigned for the remainder of the contract term unless there is an occupancy management necessity. It does not entitle the student to make the extra furnishings available to another student or guest. Once a student reserves a room as a single, the student is obligated for the additional fee. If the student later decides to accept a roommate or move to another room, the single room fee will be prorated. Single rooms may not be offered to new students prior to the beginning of occupancy.

Temporary Assignments

There are some semesters (usually the fall semester) in which more students desire housing than can be accommodated in permanent rooms. Therefore, the university makes additional space available for temporary housing, including Community Advisor rooms. The use of temporary assignments gives more students the opportunity for housing and contributes to maintaining room rates as low as possible by making maximum use of facilities. Permanent assignments are made after no-shows are reported and spaces are vacated by students leaving or changing residence halls. Students may not choose to remain in a temporary space once rooms are available.

Vacation Periods

The University Student Housing and Hospitality Services Contract is for room and dining plans during those periods of the academic year when Texas Tech University classes are in session. View the official Texas Tech University Calendar at http://www.depts.ttu.edu/officialpublications/calendar/. The West Village offers 12–month contracts.

Friends Guns Up

Period Of Occupancy

Occupancy begins in the residence halls on Sunday, August 18, 2019, at 10 a.m. for the fall semester. Some Hospitality Services locations will open Sunday, August 18, 2019, with the remaining opening the following week. Dining Plans are validated on Sunday, August 18, 2019. Occupancy for the spring semester begins at 10:00 a.m. Sunday, January 12, 2020. The first meal is breakfast, served Monday, January 13, 2020.

Occupancy ends in the Residence Halls at 10 a.m. Thursday, December 12, 2019, for the fall semester. Degree candidates may occupy rooms until 10 a.m. Saturday, December 15, 2019. The spring semester ends with the closing of the residence halls at 10:00 a.m. Wednesday, May 13, 2020. Degree candidates may occupy rooms until noon Sunday, May 17, 2020.

Late arrival and/or early departure are not a basis for reduction in cost. If the resident is not graduating at the end of the semester, the resident may stay 24 hours after completion of the student's last scheduled examination but no longer than the day listed as the closing day of the semester, as noted in the official university calendar. Those graduating at the end of the semester may make a request to remain in their rooms until noon on the day of the university graduation exercises.

University Student Housing and Hospitality Services reserves the right to make calendar changes according to the Texas Tech University official academic calendar. www.depts.ttu.edu/officialpublications/calendar/.