University Student Housing and Hospitality Services together want to encourage students to participate in our sustainability efforts. And one of the easiest things you can do is recycle!
What to Recycle
Many things we use every day can be reclaimed and remade again. We accept the following:
- Paper - Office, glossy and colored paper, envelopes, cardstock, newspaper, magazines and telephone books
- Cardboard – corrugated cardboard, cereal boxes, grocery bags, etc. All cardboard should be broken down and placed in the appropriate cardboard containers
- Plastic - #1 and #2 bottles (check the bottom for the recycling number)
- Plastic bags and wrap (grocery bags, wrap, etc.)
- Aluminum - Beverage cans, etc.
- Styrofoam - Packing foam, foam cups, foam plates, egg carts, etc. All items must be clean and dry with no food residue
- Tin - Rinse pet food cans and remove labels.
- Glass - Jars, bottles, etc. (clean with no lids), No sheet or window glass
- Other Items - Housing Services will also take ink cartridges, rechargeable batteries, and toner cartridges
WE DO NOT ACCEPT #3, #5, or #7 plastics. This includes butter and yogurt tubs, plastic lids, straws, hangers, etc. For more information, review the Recycling Symbols Guide.
Where to Recycle
- Paper, plastic, and beverage container recycling bins are located in all the Residence Halls on all the floors.
- Cardboard recycling can be found outside many of the residence halls in specially marked bins.
If you decide to recycle, please do not contaminate recyclables with food or wet garbage! For example, a pizza box with sauce and cheese on it should be thrown out with regular trash. If in doubt, go ahead and put the item in the regular trash.
We have a drop-off station for your recyclables! Any student, staff, faculty, or Lubbock community member can take advantage of the drop-off center, and it's accessible twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.
This location will accept all the items listed above as well as textiles (clothing, bedding, towels, etc.)
We do NOT accept electronics (televisions, computers, printers, video players, etc) or appliances (microwaves, toasters, etc.)
All items must be bagged.
- All cans must be emptied and rinsed out.
- We do not accept pizza boxes, tissue paper, or any containers with food, tobacco or trash in them.
- All paper must be bagged separate from other recycling. Do not place paper in bags with other items.
- All recycling must be bagged and tied tightly.
- Glass bottles and jars are to be placed in the containers marked glass.
- Cardboard should be broken down and placed in the blue dumpsters marked CARDBOARD.
The drop off station is located behind Housing Services. There are direction signs located at the Physical Plant parking lot entrances off of Main and Flint and Main and Hartford (across from the Student Rec Center). The signs say "TTU Recycling."
- Office of Sustainability
- Arbor Day
- Green It Mean I
- CURC (College & University Recycling Coalition)
- Keep America Beautiful