University Student Housing is going green, and in some very surprising ways! Talkington Hall is earning U.S. Green Building Council LEED(Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification points, and we continue to make improvements to our current halls.
University Student Housing staff are pledging to Go Green!
Our Custodial Department has taken huge steps as we become more environmentally friendly:
- Auto Scrubbers - These machines clean our lobby floors using less water and chemicals than traditional methods.
- HEPA Vacuums - By filtering out more dirt and allergens than traditional vacuums, we can keep the air in our halls cleaner.
- Microfiber Dust Mops and Cloths - These products are both reusable and reduce dust during cleaning.
- Soldier Mops - Made from post-consumer plastic bottles and recycled combat fatigue clippings, portions of the proceeds from our purchase of these mops go to the Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors and the Folds of Honor Foundation.
- All restrooms are cleaned with the Kaivac "no touch" system. The machines eliminate cross contamination and leave a much cleaner restroom while using less water and chemicals.
- The use of microfiber flat mop systems reduces opportunities for cross-contamination, reduces chemical and water usage, increases productivity, reduces staff injuries and workers compensations claims and cleans more effectively than conventional string mops.
- Most cleaning chemicals are Green Seal certified and equipment is CRI certified.
- All paper (towels and toilet tissue) are 100% recycled and/or EPA compliant.
Our Housing Services Department is striving to improve our halls:
- Auto Flushers, Faucets and Towel Dispensers - These appliances help make restrooms more sanitary and save water and paper products.
- Recycled Entry Mats - By reducing the amount of dirt and debris left on interior floors, these mats help improve indoor air quality.
- Installed water fountains with bottle refill stations in most residence halls. There have been between 20,000-60,000 bottles refilled with the fountains. As the fountains are replaced they will be replaced with the bottle refill stations.
- Window Replacements - Newer windows in our halls help seal buildings to keep dust and dirt out and cooled/heated air in.
In May 2014 during move out, Give and Go collected 38,000 (19 tons) of clothing, bedding and appliances which generated $30,000 and funded 1213 hours of employee training and job placement for Goodwill.
- Office of Sustainability
- Arbor Day
- Green It Mean I
- CURC (College & University Recycling Coalition)
- Keep America Beautiful