Thursday, December 12, 2019
Sunday, January 12, 2020
If you do not plan to return to Texas Tech after the semester break:
- Go to the University Student Housing Welcome Center in the Wiggins Complex to cancel your contract.
- Set up a room checkout with your CA
- Make sure everything is removed from your room and your room is clean.
- Residents who need to cancel their housing after December 12, 2019, but have not yet moved out will need to move out on Monday, January 6, 2019, or Tuesday, January 7, 2020, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
If you withdraw from the university after leaving for Winter Break, you are also required to cancel your University Student Housing contract. Start the process by contacting the Welcome Center at email@example.com.
University Student Housing Offices located in the Wiggins Complex will be closed Monday, December 23, 2019, – Wednesday, January 1, 2020, for university holidays. We will reopen at 8:00 a.m. on Thursday, January 2, 2020.
Winter Break Contract Extension Request
If you need to request to stay past December 12, 2019, or are changing rooms, you must fill out the Winter Break Contract Extension Request
You must vacate your room no later than 24 hours after your last final or no later than December 12, 2019, at 10:00 a.m.
Room or Hall Changes must be completed by December 12, 2019, at 12:00 p.m. (noon). Check with your hall office for details.
- You must leave your room no later than 24 hours after your last final and no later than December 12, 2019, at 10:00 a.m.
- You are not required to take all of your belongings home over the break.
- If your roommate is not returning next semester, please keep the other side of the room empty and clean to avoid a single room fee.
- Starting at 10:00 a.m. on Thursday, December 12, University Student Housing will be conducting closing room checks and documenting policy violations.
- Facilities staff will enter your room to clean suite bathrooms and complete FixIT requests.
- If you need to request to stay past December 12th or are changing rooms, you must fill out the Winter Break Contract Extension Request no later than Monday, December 9, 2019, at 5:00 p.m. You will be emailed regarding the status of your request by your Residence Life Coordinator.
- Your room is reserved for the full academic year. If you are not returning to Texas Tech for the Spring 2020 term, please visit the USH Welcome Center to cancel your contract.
Don't Forget To:
- Let your CA know when you are leaving.
- Clean, defrost, and unplug your mini refrigerator during Winter Break. Defrosting
your mini-fridge will take up to two days. To defrost your mini-fridge, follow these
- Remove all perishables from the mini-fridge and freezer.
- Turn off and unplug the mini-fridge.
- Be sure to place a towel or large bowl in and around the mini-fridge.
- Once the mini-fridge has been defrosted, remove excess water using a towel or paper towels. Leave the door of the mini-fridge propped open to prevent molding.
- Make sure you have everything you need for the break (medication, passport, jewelry, electronics, airline tickets, contact lenses, etc.).
- Be sure to take fish home with you if you have them.
- Unplug everything in your room.
- Remove all perishables from your room.
- Please discard any trash that may be in your room before you leave for break.
- Close your blinds and lock your windows.
- Turn off all lights and ceiling fans.
- Check all faucets and fixtures to make sure they are not leaking and submit any maintenance concerns via FixIt.
- (If applicable) Set your thermostat to “Heat and Auto” or “70-75” and leave the room at a comfortable temperature. This will help prevent pipes from freezing and bursting.
- Make arrangements for meals according to the Dining Hours on campus.
- These points will help keep your room safe and clean for your return.
Housing staff will be entering resident rooms starting at 10:00 a.m. on Thursday, December 12, 2019, to ensure each room is ready for Winter break. In addition to the points mentioned above, please note the following:
- Mini refrigerators and freezers will be opened and inspected by housing staff. Perishable food left in mini refrigerators and freezers will be discarded.
- Staff will unplug any devices or appliances left plugged in.
- Any remaining trash will be discarded.
- Any found policy violations will be documented.
Evening Transportation Service
From 6 p.m. to 2:45 a.m. seven days a week during the semester, Transportation and Parking Services provides a night shuttle service to students.
- Raider Ride is free when the starting or ending point of the trip is on the TTU main campus or Satellite lots.
- Raider Ride has a $5 charge per rider when the trip is from any off-campus location to another off-campus location