Distinguished Staff Awards Guidelines
There are six levels of Distinguished Staff Awards:
- Matador Award
- Masked Rider Award
- Guns Up Award
- President's Award of Excellence
- Chancellor's Award of Excellence
More information about each award can be found on the Award Descriptions page.
The Distinguished Staff Awards are made in accordance with each of the eligibility criteria listed below. The award year is considered the fiscal year.
The nominee(s) must:
- Have a current performance evaluation on file in Human Resources and received an overall rating of 4.0 or above
- Be continuously employed as full-time or part-time, benefits-eligible staff member as required by award criteria
- Not received a disciplinary action within the previous twelve months
- Completed all required trainings as outlined in O.P. 70.41
- Not have been the recipient of a Distinguished Staff Award in the past five years. (The Quality Service Awards will be used as a basis for eligibility until a five year history has been established for the Distinguished Staff Awards.)
Note: The nomination may include an individual or team; however, all members of a team must meet the basic eligibility criteria stated above. If any member does not meet the eligibility requirements, the entire team will be ineligible.
The Nomination Form is the only source of information about the nominee that the selection committee uses in the selection process. The members evaluate to what degree the nominee demonstrates excellence in each of the areas listed under criteria for consideration. Quantity of nominations received is not a factor. The nomination form should provide specific responses for each criteria. Supplemental information (e.g., letters of reference) included with the nomination will not be submitted to the selection committee.
Nomination forms should be submitted to Human Resources Talent Development via e-mail to email@example.com.
Verifications and Approvals
Verification of employment, performance, and training criteria will be completed by Human Resources. Nominations meeting the eligibility requirements stated above are sent forward to the supervisor and VP for approval. Approved nominations are then submitted to the selection committee for review and rating according to award criteria.
Award Evaluation Criteria
Eligible nominations will be judged upon the descriptions of the specific examples given for each evaluation item as listed under criteria for consideration. A selection committee uses a weighted scoring method to evaluate the items. The selection committee prepares a list of recommended awardees to submit to the Chancellor and the university President for his or her review and final review.