How to Create a New Position or Reclassify an Existing Position
Contact HR Compensation & Operations
HR Compensation & Operations195 Doak Conference CenterPhone: 806-742-3851HR Compensation & Operations Staff Directory
HR Compensation & Operations provide their expertise in evaluating and classifying new and existing positions so that department managers and administrators can make informed decisions for modifying organizational structures.
The creation of a new position or the reclassification (reassignment of a position to a different class or category) is a collaborated effort by HR Compensation and the department and requires an analysis of duties, level of responsibilities, minimum required qualifications, and reporting relationship of the position. The new position cannot be made to fit the qualifications of an individual employee (or group of employees), but rather should reflect the duties to be performed.
Be cautious not to make any commitments regarding possible changes to titles and/or salaries before a complete analysis for the recommended changes can be completed. Such commitments constitute a legal commitment for Texas Tech.
- Step 1 - Position Description form (Instructions) - In order to create a new position or reclassify an existing position you will first complete a Position Description form. This form outlines the minimum qualification requirements for the position and describes the knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with the position.
- Step 2 - Please complete the New Position/Reclass form following the instructions for filling out the New Position/Reclassification request. Attach a Position Description form and organization Chart identifying the names and titles of incumbents along with the location of the new position/reclassified position in the department. Route the New Position/Reclassification form through the appropriate approval levels, Department Head and AVP/Dean or Provost/Vice President levels. Forward the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive an email with the final approval, new position number and the effective date of the new position or reclassified position.
- Step 3 - HR Compensation & Operations will audit the position taking into consideration:
- The assigned job duties and responsibilities
- The knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the duties
- The degree of judgment required
- The degree of supervision required
- The degree of supervision exercised
- The decision-making responsibility required
- Special working conditions
- Special licenses or certifications required
- Qualification the employee(s) occupying the position(s) or should possess to fill the positions(s) with reasonable prospect of success
- The relationship of the position(s) to similar position(s) within the University
- Step 4 - HR Compensation & Operations will assign an eclass, category, pay range and position number. Please note that a recommendation by Human Resources does not imply any commitment for additional funds that may be required.