Use the checklist below to help guide you once you have found your new employee.
Extending the Offer
- Write the Offer Letter.
- Extend an offer to the candidate. They must return the Offer Letter and Criminal Background Check Request form signed.
After the Candidate Accepts Your Offer
- Have a Criminal Background Check conducted.
- Keep copies of all documented communication and paperwork, including the signed offer letter for the department's records.
- Complete a New Hire ePAF for your new employee.
- The I-9/New Employee Packet must be completed within the first three days of employment and be submitted with the employee's New Hire ePAF.
- Set up phone information, and order keys and business cards (if applicable)
The Candidate's First Day in the Department
- Help them register for New Employee Orientation and/or Health Benefits Orientation (depending on the hire date) through the Human Resources Web site.
- Remember to have the employee sign up for Emergency Alerts, Parking, and Direct Deposit where applicable.
- Review the position description and job responsibilities with the employee and have them sign.
- Establish work and lunch hours if applicable.
- Review conduct and appearance expectations.
- Provide keys and business cards if applicable.
- Conduct a guided tour of department to include the location of office supplies, the break room, etc.
- Introduce them to other department personnel
- Inform them as to whom they can direct questions (i.e., a mentor).
- Optional: Have lunch with the new employee on their first day to help feel welcome!