M.S. in Environmental DesignRequest Info Apply
Texas Tech University offers a nationally recognized Environmental Design master's degree program that continues to earn prominent recognition by top environmental design organizations across the nation. The Master of Environmental Design degree offers two concentrations:
- Interior and Environmental Design
- Apparel Design
Promote your ideas, creativity, and career with our Environmental Design master's degree.
Earn a Master's Degree with an Interior Design Concentration
The Interior and Environmental Design concentration is a nationally recognized master's degree program that continues to earn prominent recognition by top environmental design organizations across the nation. Students and faculty in our Environmental Design master's degree program have won national awards and published their work in top academic journals. Working alongside leading scholars and innovators, you will earn an environmental design master's degree that prepares you to take the next step professionally and academically.
Texas Tech's interior and environmental design master's concentration stands out for its:
- Award-winning faculty. Most of our faculty combine Ph.D.s with years of professional experience in commercial design, residential design, healthcare design, or other environmental design specialties.
- Specialized expertise. Texas Tech has earned widespread attention for environmental design innovations that accommodate elderly, disabled, and mentally challenged populations.
- International diversity. You will work alongside environmental design students and faculty from the United States, India, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.
- Professional connections. The environmental design department's advisory board of alumni and practicing environmental designers provides a built-in network to support your professional development.
- Publication opportunities. Because Texas Tech has a reputation for forward-thinking environmental and interior design research, journal editors welcome submissions from our students and faculty. Our department has published papers with the International Journal of Design Principles and Practices, Health Environment Research & Design Journal, Intelligent Buildings International, and Journal of Environmental Psychology.
Earn a Master's Degree with an Apparel Design Concentration
The Apparel Design concentration is an innovative master's degree program that is nationally recognized and accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design. Our graduate fashion design program features opportunities for students interested in apparel design and emphasizes sustainable design, entrepreneurship in fashion, innovative apparel design technology, and creative design studio. In addition, the accelerated bachelor-to-master's degree program allows academically capable students to accelerate their undergraduate degree programs, begin graduate work in their fourth year, and finish both a bachelor's and master's degree in a total of approximately five years.
The ss concentration in apparel design will give you a superior foundation in human-centered apparel design research.
Our fashion and apparel concentration master's degree has a strong focus on:
- Sustainable Design. Develop resource-efficient apparel that considers product lifecycles and environmental impacts.
- Entrepreneurship in Fashion. Promote your fashion career in a variety of fashion-related textile and apparel industries.
- Innovative Apparel Design Technology. Innovate using advanced apparel design technology including virtual design and 3D body scanning for mass production and customization.
- Creative Design Studio. Advance critical thinking and competitive design expertise and apply these processes to creative solutions.
Focus Our Environmental Design Master's Degree on Your Interests
Texas Tech's Environment Design master's degree program culminates in an independent capstone project on a subject of special interest to you.
This two-course sequence begins with an in-depth literature review on an environmental design topic of your choosing. In the second course, you will create a design solution that is based on the research from your literature review.
The capstone project enables you to demonstrate a wide range of skills, including creativity, problem-solving, writing, and design. You will end up with a strong portfolio piece that advances your professional standing in architecture, environmental design, historic restoration, or another specialized field. You also will have a body of work to share with potential employers or Ph.D. program admissions counselors.
Environmental Design Career Opportunities
Graduates of Texas Tech's environmental design master's degree program have an outstanding record of professional and academic success. After completing your Master of Science in Environmental Design, you will find professional opportunities in fields such as:
- Interior design
- Environmental design
- Commercial design
- Healthcare design
- Residential design
- Historic preservation and renovation
- Apparel Design for Mass Production and Customization
- Apparel Technology Management
- Technical Design
- Apparel Design Education
- Fashion Business