Research Incentive Awards
Date of Last Review:
Specify the manner in which F&A (Facility and Administrative) funds generated from funded projects are returned to faculty and programs in the College of Human Sciences.
The policy will be reviewed by May 1 of each year by the CoHS Executive Committee.
All or part of F&A returns that come to the College will be returned to the program or department that generated the funds. Ongoing programs and centers with the need to sustain their operations will receive 100% of the F&A funds that program generates. These funds will be distributed by the College directly to the program. A small portion of funds generated by time-limited grants may be retained by the College to support research-related activities. The percentage of retained funds will be decided annually by the College Executive Committee. Funds generated by time-limited grants will be distributed to the department(s) in which the grant faculty members are located with the request that as much as possible of those funds be made available to the researcher(s) who generated them.
- When F&A amounts are returned to the CoHS from the Vice President for Research Office, the Dean of the CoHS will allocate the returns as specified in the policy.
- Funds generated by ongoing programs and centers will be distributed directly to those programs and centers.
- Funds generated by time-limited grants will be distributed to the department in which the grant faculty members are located with a strong recommendation that all or at least a major portion of the money be returned directly to the researchers to enable further research.
- Department business managers and department chairpersons will work with the CoHS Manager of Financial and Administrative Services to coordinate the transfer of funds.
- Returned funds must be expended in accordance with policies set forth by the Vice President for Research, which will be distributed to PIs with notification of returned funds.
- Records of expenditures from these funds are to be retained in the responsible unit’s files and reported to the CoHS Manager of Financial and Administrative Services at the annual close of the fiscal year.