Family and Consumer Sciences Education
Doctor of Philosophy
The Ph.D. degree program is designed to prepare individuals for faculty positions in higher education and other professional leadership roles.
Academic requirements for the family and consumer sciences Ph.D. program include:
- 60 credit hours of coursework and 12 hours of dissertation
60 hours include:
- 21-hour specialization in family and consumer sciences education
- 15-hour research component
- 18-hour emphasis designed to address professional goals
- 6-hour of electives
Admission is based on graduate and undergraduate records, professional recommendations, and additional considerations. A master's degree is required for admission to the doctoral program.
Applications are considered at any time. However, individuals are encouraged to apply by March 1 for fall admission, October 1 for spring admission.
Click here to print a copy of degree requirements (FCSE Doctoral Program).
How to Apply
Fall 2018 Applications
The Graduate School online application system is designed to help you easily navigate through the application process and ensure you complete your application in a timely manner.
ALL documents must be submitted through the online portal and directly to the department.
Spring 2018 Applicants
Additional items to address with your application process:
- Résumé (current contact information, summary of educational and professional background, names and contact information for three individuals sending letters of reference)
- Written statement of professional interest and intent indicating interest in and unique contributions to FCSE doctoral program
- Writing sample
- Three letters of recommendation addressing professional background, academic performance, and potential for success in a doctoral program
- Official transcripts (include all institutions attended)
- Apply for Scholarships (one application opportunity only)
- Online application opens: November 15, 2017
- Deadline for applications: January 15, 2018
- Scholarship deadline: January 15, 2018
- Awards announced: March 15, 2018
- Acceptance of award for student deadline: April 15, 2018
- Interview with FCSE Faculty (Scheduled prior to admission)