Family & Consumer Sciences Education
Master of Science in Family and Consumer Sciences Education
Our family and consumer sciences master's degree is the only one in Texas—and among the best in the nation.
With a Master's degree in Family and Consumer Sciences from Texas Tech University, you can help shape the future of family and consumer sciences education.
Our Family and Consumer Sciences master's degree—the only one in Texas—will qualify you for leadership roles. You will gain the experience and expertise to advance your career, while earning a master's degree from a school with a national reputation for excellence.
Our master's program in family and consumer sciences provides you with unique graduate school opportunities. You will have the chance to:
- Work with nationally renowned faculty. Our master's program is led by some of the nation's top researchers and authors in family and consumer sciences. Texas Tech faculty make it a priority to mentor graduate students, so you will enjoy plenty of face time and one-on-one attention.
- Connect with leading curriculum developers. Texas Tech's Curriculum Center for Family and Consumer Sciences publishes textbooks and class materials used by family and consumer sciences (formerly known as home economics) teachers nationwide.
- Participate directly in research. If you choose the thesis option, you will design and execute your own research program with close guidance from a faculty adviser.
- Become part of a broad professional network. Our faculty maintain relationships with family and consumer sciences researchers and educators across the country. In addition, our alumni hold leadership positions throughout Texas and the nation.
Broaden Your Career Opportunities in Family and Consumer Sciences
The Family and Consumer Sciences master's degree is open to licensed teachers who seek to improve their credentials, and to bachelor's degree holders who have not yet earned a teaching license.
The nation faces a shortage of family and consumer science teachers, and an even greater shortage of qualified leaders. You can help to close the leadership gap by earning a master's degree from Texas Tech. With this degree, you will be qualified to:
- Develop family and consumer sciences curriculum
- Teach dual-credit courses
- Train and supervise teachers, extension agents, and other educators
- Perform evaluations and assessments
- Collaborate with community leaders to promote family and consumer sciences programs
For more information about the Family and Consumer Sciences Education master's degree
Request Information Online
Contact the program coordinator by phone
- Name: Dr. Karen Alexander
- Phone: (806) 834-2212