Hospitality and Retail Management
Doctor of Philosophy in Hospitality Administration
The Doctor of Philosophy in Hospitality Administration degree requires a minimum of 39 hours in hospitality, 21 of which must be completed as a hospitality administration doctoral student at Texas Tech. Additional requirements include 9 credit hours of education courses, 21 credit hours of research and statistics courses, 3 credit hours of seminar, and 12 dissertation credit hours. A GRE or GMAT score is required. Leveling coursework may also be required.
Doctoral Program Faculty Contact
Dr. David Rivera
Texas Tech University
HRM Dept. Box 41240 Lubbock, TX 79409-1240, USA
Phone: (806) 834-8187
Admission to the Graduate Program
Fall Admissions Only.
The GRE or GMAT is REQUIRED.
How to Apply
Apply to Graduate School
- Apply to Texas Tech University's Graduate School: Online application
- Pay the application fee
For information about scholarships from the TTU Graduate School, please go to: http://www.depts.ttu.edu/gradschool/financial/GeneralFellowships.php
Submit documents to the Graduate School
Applicant File Upload Portal
The Applicant File Upload Portal may only be accessed once. Please make sure you have prepared ALL required documents before continuing.
Within 24 hours of submitting your Apply Texas application you will receive an e-mail with instructions on how to activate your eRaider account. You must have activated the eRaider account to upload documents to the Graduate School.
Uploading your documents may take up to 1 hour and you will be able to access the system only once. Please make sure you have completed and compiled all of the requested information before starting this step.
All documents must be PDF files which are no larger than 2MB each.
- Personal Statement of Professional Goals
- Written Sample
- Passport Bio Page (International Students)
- Proof of Financial Support (International Students)
- ALL Unofficial Copies of Degrees
- ALL Unofficial Copies of College/University Transcript
- Email addresses for 3 persons who will submit recommendations
- GRE scores
1. Go to the Applicant File Upload Portal
2. Create a profile and confirm which term and program you are applying to.
3. In tab 1:
- Upload your Resume/CV, Professional Statement of Professional Goals, and Written Sample. Please submit the document only once.
4. In tab 2:
- International students will submit their passport bio page and proof of financial support.
- All applicants will upload (unofficial) copies or scans of their degree certificates.
5. In tab 3:
- Upload unofficial copies of College and University transcripts.
6. In tab 4:
- Provide the official e-mail address of up to three (3) persons willing to provide a letter of recommendation. Each recommender will receive an email from the system with a fillable two-page PDF recommendation form and a dedicated link for its submission.
7. In tab 5:
- Upload GRE score report, and where appropriate, proof of English proficiency for International Applicants, such as TOEFL or IELTS.
8. Click "Finish" to submit your materials.
Once your documents have been submitted in the Applicant File Upload Portal, you will then be able to start tracking your application status in the Raiderlink portal.
- Graduate Scholarship Information
- TTU Graduate School
- Graduate Student Travel Funding Requests - Graduate School
- TTU Financial Aid Office
Current Student Forms and Applications
- Annual Report
- Teaching/Research Assistantship Application
- Dissertation Committee Database
- Dissertation Committee Selection Form
- TTU Office of Research Services - Human Subjects Forms
- Degree Planning Sheet
- Change of Degree Plan Form
- TTU Graduate School
- Graduate Studies Responsibilities
- International Teaching Assistant Training Program
- TTU Office of International Affairs
- Human Research Protection Program
- Teaching, Learning and Professional Development Center (TLPDC)
- TEACH Program
- Global Hospitality Educators
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Jobs in Higher Education
- Academy of Management Online
- International Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education (I-CHRIE)