John Dawson, Ph.D.
Phone: (806) 834-7615
Room: HS 301F
Department of Nutritional Sciences
My position as a biostatistician requires me to be a jack-of-all-trades, so I have experience with design of experiments, analysis of mRNA and sequence data, and cancer and obesity research, to name a few areas. My research interests are in the proper measurement of nutritional outcomes, especially outcomes that are primarily obtained via self-report and hence may be invalid, unreliable, or both. I have a joint appointment with the Center for Biotechnology & Genomics and collaborate within and beyond the College of Human Sciences.
BS in Mathematics from the University of Iowa (2005); PhD in Statistics with emphasis in Biostatistics from the University of Wisconsin-Madison (2012); Post-doctoral traineeship at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (2014)
NS 5311 (Biostatistics)
NS 5330 - Introduction to Nutritional Sciences Research
- Dawson JA, Ye S and Kendziorski C. R/EBcoexpress: An empirical Bayesian framework for discovering differential co-expression. Bioinformatics (2012); vol. 28, no. 14, pp. 1939-40.
- Dawson JA, Dhurandhar EJ, Vasquez AI, Peng B and Allison DB. Propagation of Obesity Across Generations: The Roles of Differential Realized Fertility and Assortative Mating by Body Mass Index. Human Heredity (2013) 25 (2-4), pp. 204-12. [PMC4010105]
- Dhurandhar EJ, Dawson JA, Alcorn A, Hingstrup L, Thomas E, Cardel M, Bourland A, Travers A, Astrup A, St-Onge M-P, Hill JO, Apovian C, Shikany J, Allison DB. The Effectiveness of Breakfast Recommendations on Weight Loss: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Am J Clin Nutr (2014) August, ajcn.089573. [PMC4095657]
- Casazza K, Brown AW, Astrup A, Bertz F, Baum C, Bohan Brown M, Dawson JA, Durant N, Dutton G, Fields DA, Fontaine KR, Levitsky D, Mehta T, Menachemi N, Newby P, Pate R, Raynor H, Rolls BJ, Sen B, Smith Jr. DL, Thomas D, Wansink B, Allison DB and Heymsfield S. Weighing the Evidence of Common Beliefs in Obesity Research. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr (2014) 20:0 June, DOI: 10.1080/10408398.2014.922044. [PMC4272668]
- Christopherson MR, Dawson JA, Stevenson D, Cunningham A, Bramhacharya S, Weimer PJ, Kendziorski C and Suen G. Unique aspects of fiber degradation by the ruminal ethanologen Ruminococcus albus 7 revealed by physiological and transcriptomic analysis. BMC Genomics (2014) Dec 4; 15: 1066. doi: 10.1186/1471-2164-15-1066. [PMC4300822]