Obesity Research Cluster
- Dr. Katherine Chauncey, Professor in Family Medicine, TTUHSC, recently received a Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT) grant to expand the West Texas Cancer Survivors Network. The role of obesity in cancer recurrence will be investigated.
- Monique Lemieux, a doctoral student in Nutritional Sciences (Mentor: Dr. Naima Moustaid-Moussa), received a poster award given to best six posters by the Basic Science Section of The Obesity Society (TOS). The award was presented during TOS meeting held in Atlanta during Obesity Week in November 2013. Monique’s presentation was on the role of the adipocyte angiotensinogen in inflammation and insulin resistance using genetically engineered mice and cultured adipocytes
- Hui Chang, a doctoral Student in Nutritional Sciences (Mentor: Dr. Jamie Cooper) received the second Prize in 2013 American Institute for Cancer Research Abstract Competition. The award was presented by the TOS Obesity & Cancer Section during Obesity Week held in Atlanta in November 2013. Hui’s presentation was about validation of the Body Adiposity Index (BAI) as a Predictor of Percent Body Fat in Older Individuals.
- Dr. Martin Binks, Associate Professor in Nutritional Sciences was elected to the Obesity Society Executive Council as TOS Secretary for a 3 year term.
- Dr. Naima Moustaid-Moussa, Nutritional Sciences Professor was recognized by TOS during Obesity week meeting in Atlanta in November 2013 for her outstanding service and devotion to The Obesity Society.
- Dr. Leslie Shen, Associate Professor in Pathology at the HSC School of Medicine was highlighted in several research news and venues for her work on green tea and bone health. She recently published a paper in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition entitled “Tea and bone health: steps forward in translational nutrition” (http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2013/10/30/ajcn.113.058255.abstract). More on her work can be found at the HSC News section http://dailydose.ttuhsc.edu/news/clips/does-green-tea-help-improve-bone-strength-elderbranch/
North Carolina Gets "Anti-Bloomberg" Law, 7/19/2013
Fat-boosting gene mystery 'solved', 7/15/2013