Obesity Research Cluster
Obesity Research Cluster Leadership
Marc Lochbaum, Ph.D.
I am a Professor in the Department of Health, Exercise, and Sport Sciences with a Research Fellow appointment in the Burkhart Center for Autism Education and Research at Texas Tech University. I teach exercise and sport psychology graduate and undergraduate courses.
My research is currently funded by the Department of Education for the next five years as I am a co-investigator on a 24.5 million USA dollar funded grant. My role is structuring high quality after school physical activity programs for children and youth in a poverty and educationally stricken area of Lubbock, Texas.
- Personality and achievement goals in the physical activity context including both leisure time physical activity and competitive sport
- Motivational issues surrounding sport injury recovery
- Physical activity health disparities
The research theories that I specifically examine include:
- Achievement Goal Theory
- Self-Determination Theory
- The Big Five Personalities
I am currently seeking cross cultural collaborations for projects that examine in some combination the theories/models that I am most familiar and physical activity pursuits including competitive sport of children to adults of groups typically marginalized and under researched. I am also open to exploring other theories to guide cross cultural research endeavors.