OIA Staff members present posters and make presentations at NAFSA
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is the world's largest nonprofit association dedicated to international education and exchange. NAFSA's 10,000 members are located at more than 3,500 institutions worldwide, in over 150 countries. This year’s national Conference and Expo was held in Denver, CO, and several administrators from TTU’s Office of International Affairs were able to participate.
Staff members from the Office of International Affairs played active roles in the following areas:
- Dr. Sukant Misra, TTU’s Associate Vice Provost for International Programs, was both
chair and presenter at a session entitled "Comprehensive Internationalization: Pillars
of Success". The other presenters at this session were:
- Allen Levine: Vice Provost for Academic and Faculty Affairs, University of Minnesota, Presenter.
- Steven Hanson: Associate Provost and Dean, Michigan State University, Presenter.
- Harvey Kesselman: President, Stockton University, Presenter.
- Mr. Richard Porter, Director of International Student and Scholar Services, chaired
and presented a session with a government representative from the Department of State
J-1 Exchange Visitor Program entitled "U.S. Department of State and Exchange Visitors:
Current Issues". The other presenter at this session was:
- Elizabeth James, JD. Director of International Student and Scholar Services a North Carolina State University.
- Charmagne Herlien, Associate Director of International Student and Scholar Services at California Institute of Technology.
- Richard also co-presented another J-1 Exchange Visitor Program Session entitled "Managing
Your J-1 Exchange Visitor Program: Applying the New Regulations". The other presenters
at this session were:
- Adria Baker, EdD, Director of International Student and Scholar Services at Rice University.
- Sook Hollingshead, Assistant Director of Scholar Services at University of California Berkeley.
The following OIA staff members presented posters:
- Richard Porter, ISSS Director: "Select Japanese University Administrators Perspectives on Japanese Study Abroad Trends".
- Michael Johnson, International Partners and Export Control Administrator: "Challenge Assumptions: Export Control Implications in International Education".
- Chris Lemmons, International Student Life Administrator: "Cultural Exchange Program: International Students Involved in the Community" and "International Student Council Umbrella Organization: Uniting International Organizations".
OIA staff participated in 17 different (pre-) conference workshops:
- Karin Senft, International Student Lead Counselor: Port of Entry Workshop.
- Philip Gill, Sr. Administrator for J-1 Exchange Visitor Program: H-1B Workshop.
- Tracy Tindle, Assistant Director for ISSS: Terra Dotta Workshop/Conference.
- Michael Johnson, International Partners and Export Control Administrator: 100K Strong 3rd Capacity Building Workshop Symposium.
- Rachel Massey, Asst. Director of Study Abroad: Collaborative Approaches to Developing Faculty-Led Programs & Current Trends in Education Abroad Alumni Programming.
- Kyle Pace, Study Abroad Advisor: Health, Safety, and Risk Management in Education Abroad.
- Bethany Kuwitzky, Study Abroad Advisor: Funding Education Abroad: Administration and Partnership.
- Rachel Massey, Kyle Pace, and Bethany Kuwitzky: Expanding Roles of the Education Abroad Advisor.
- Chris Lemmons, International Student Life Administrator: Engaging International Alumni: A Pathway to Your Institution’s Global Capacity Building your ISSS Crisis Management Plan.
- Nikki Harney, Sr. Lead Evaluator for International Undergraduate Admissions: F-1 Advising For Beginners & International Credential Evaluation: Understanding the Essentials & International Credential Evaluation: Secondary Level Credentials.
- Alexa Smith, Asst. Director for International Enrollment Development, & Mary Ann Greenberg, Int’l Student Recruiting Manager: Managing Student Recruitment Agents.
Other areas of participation and achievement:
- Alexa Smith--Senior Co-Chair of the Sponsored Partner Administration Member Interest Group (MIG)--hosted open meeting.
- Karin Senft--Visited the Denver Airport Customs and Border Protection Office.
- Richard Porter--presented at two sessions in collaboration with the Department of State. He also chaired one sub-committee meeting.
- Phillip Gill was inducted into the National Trainer Corps and received his inductee training.
- Dawn Cepica, Sr. Administrator for Faculty and Staff Immigration Services, was named chair-elect for National Conference Content.
- Elizabeth McDaniel, Sr. Director for International Education and Enrollment Management, participated in the Symposium on International Education Leadership.
- Kelley Coleman, Director of K-12 Global Education Outreach, presented information about the Simon Award at two different sessions for Campus Internationalization (the K-12 GEO Division was the 2016 Spotlight Winner).
- Michael Johnson met with the Region III and Region VII teams to prepare for the Bi-Regional Conference later this year.