Mexico Field Course
Texas Tech and the Spanish program of the Classical and Modern Languages and Literatures department are thrilled to report that we hosted a very successful program during summer 2017 and are excited to offer the program again in summer 2018. This excellent program, which is the longest running study abroad program at Texas Tech University (46 years), provides a fast-paced, well-balanced experience, including total immersion while living with a friendly Mexican host family in San Luis Potosí; Mexican conversation partners provided as a part of the language courses; opportunities to attend theater, movies, concerts, and sport events; visits and stays at historical and archeological sites in Guanajuato, San Miguel de Allende, Playa del Carmen, and the pyramids of Chichen Itza; and six hours of upper-level Spanish towards a minor or major.
Limited Space on Program - Maximum 24 Students
- SPAN 3343: Spanish Language Development
- Prerequisites: SPAN 2302, 2304 or 2607. Development of listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills on location in Mexico.
- SPAN 3344: Mexican Life and Culture
- Prerequisites: SPAN 2302, 2304, or 2607. A basic survey of Mexico, with emphasis on its history and cultural patterns.
- SPAN 4343: Advanced Language Skills
- Prerequisites: SPAN 3303 or departmental consent. A study abroad course to help develop communicative language skills through class work and organized field projects. Offered only in Mexico and/or Spain each summer. May be repeated once for credit.
- SPAN 4344: Contemporary Mexico
- Prerequisites: 6 hours of SPAN at the 3000 level. A study of the various facets of contemporary Mexico; history, arts, politics, and economics.
Tentative Program Dates
- May 26- June 29, 2018
Program Open To
- All students who have completed course prerequisites.
Program Fee Includes
- Lodging and 3 meals per day with host family or in hotels during excursions
- Students will live with friendly Texas Tech approved middle-class Mexican families in San Luis Potosí in order to have close contact with the people and the language.
- Guided tours & excursions
- Cultural activities
- Course materials
- Round-trip airfare Dallas-San Luis Potosí, including airfare to Cancún
Program Fee Does Not Include
- TTU tuition and fees (6 credit hours)
- Insurance ($1.76/day)
- Education Abroad fee ($200)
- Personal spending money
Estimated Program Fee
- Additional expenses include tuition, fees, travel expenses and more. Be sure to review the total estimated program cost, which will be available soon.
For more information, contact one of the directors:
To continue working on your application click the button below and log in with your eRaider credentials.Continue Your Application (TTU students)