Field School in Caribbean Ethnology
This is a 6 credit-hour course designed to introduce students to the methods used to collect and analyze ethnographic data through directed supervision. A field experience in the fishing village of Oistins in southern Barbados will train students in the methods of field research in cultural anthropology and ethnology. Students will receive instruction in interviewing, participant observation, digital audio and video recording, and data analysis.
Students will have the opportunity to learn a great deal about Bajan culture and history through lectures and readings, field trips, and especially through interactions with community members. This experience will prepare them to be global citizens in an ever increasingly globalized world socio-economic system.
Questions about Study Abroad?
If so, come to a group information session! Attend to learn more about study abroad and to meet other students interested in this program. During the session, you will learn about the application process, scholarships, billing, and more. See you at the Information Session!
- Monday, January 22
- 4:00 pm
- International Cultural Center Auditorium
- ANTH 4640 Field School in Cultural Anthropology
- Additional expenses include tuition, fees, travel expenses and more. Be sure to review the total estimated program cost as well as the Process of Paying information.
- July 10-August 8, 2018
Program Open To
- All Texas Tech students
Program Fee Includes
- Lodging in shared apartments.
- The apartments are airconditioned and include a small kitchenette with a refridgerator.
- Weekly cleaning service is included.
- Excursions and museum entrance fees
- Guided tours
- Transportation around the island
- Some meals
Program Fee Does Not Include
- Texas Tech tuition and fees
- Airfare to/from Barbados
- Insurance ($1.76/day)
- Most meals
- Education Abroad Fee ($200)
- Materials and books
- Personal spending money
For more information:
Contact: Dr. Jeffrey Williams
To continue working on your application click the button below and log in with your eRaider credentials.Continue Your Application (TTU students)