Wind Energy in Nicaragua - Spring Break
This service-learning program is based in Jinotega, Nicaragua. The drinkable water supply in some areas of Nicaragua has become contaminated due to infectious diseases as well as farming techniques which use fertilizer and insecticide. The infant mortality estimation is extremely high and most experts believe that a lack of clean water is the primary reason for this. Some Nicaraguan citizens do not have access to electricity in remote areas of the country or the technology to pump water from below ground past a certain depth. The clean water is approximately 60 feet below the surface.
Students in this class will:
- Design an off-grid (self-sustaining power) water pump that can pump water from depths greater than 60 feet
- Use knowledge they have obtained in class to design and install the pump. The design must be repairable with parts that are available in Nicaragua.
- Complete the water pump design prior to spring break, when students will travel to Nicaragua to complete installation. The installation must be completed in one week.
- WE 4320: Independent Study in Wind Energy
- The course is a spring 2018 course with a spring break travel component. Students must be enrolled in the spring 2018 course in order to participate in the program in Nicaragua.
- Additional expenses include tuition, fees, travel expenses and more. Be sure to review the total estimated program cost as well as the Process of Paying information.
- March 10-17, 2018
Program Open To
- All TTU Students
Program Fee Includes
- Airfare to/from Nicaragua
- Lodging and meals
- In-country transportation
- Translators as needed
- Internet access at the Mission
Program Fee Does Not Include
- TTU tuition and fees
- Passport Fees
- Optional activities such as zip lining and a volcano visit
- Personal Spending Money
- Health Insurance ($1.76/day)
- Education Abroad Fee ($200)
For more information:
Applications for the spring break 2018 program are now closed. Please consider applying for the Wind Energy in Nicaragua Summer II, 2018 program. Applications for summer II are due February 1, 2018!
To continue working on your spring break 2018 application, click the button below and log in with your eRaider credentials.Continue Your Application (TTU students)