World Energy Program
Success in both college and life requires more than a formal classroom education. Recognizing that one of the world's greatest problems is energy poverty, Texas Tech's Energy Commerce program created the service-learning World Energy Project (WEP) in 2010.
To implement the WEP, Texas Tech has partnered with Light up the World Foundation (LUTW), a global nonprofit focused on providing sustainable energy solutions to people in the developing world. The communities served by the WEP are the most economically vulnerable; often living, ironically, in the very nations which are rich in energy resources. Since the initial launch of the WEP, our students have completed nine installations providing over 350 solar power systems, directly impacting over 1,500 people.
Students who participate in this WEP learn, teach, and install solar power technology in off-grid communities in the Apurimac and Ayacucho regions of Peru. Through this two week experience, our students travel from the comforts of home to off-grid locations in some of the most remote and underserved areas in Peru. The project affords our students the opportunity to experience the importance of community service and gain insight into issues affecting today's world – both of which are essential components for preparing tomorrow's global leaders. The project has proved that, while living conditions of community members are improved, the impact on our students' lives has been even greater.
- ENCO 4390: World Energy Project taught by Professor Terry McInturff
- If you have fulfilled your Group A with ENCO 4325, this course will count as a BA 4000 Directed Experience elective course.
Estimated Program Fee
- Summer 2018 program fee coming soon!
- Summer 2018 program dates coming soon!
Program Open To
- Energy Commerce Students
Program Fee Includes
- Airfare to/from Houston, TX to Lima, Peru
- All in-country lodging and transportation
- Excursions to Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley
Program Fee Does Not Include
- TTU Tuition and Fees
- Personal Spending Money
- Health Insurance ($1.76/day)
- Education Abroad Fee ($200)
For more information:
Contact: Junior Perez
To continue working on your application click the button below and log in with your eRaider credentials.Continue Your Application (TTU students)