Race & Ethnicity
The Study Abroad team encourages all students to consider building study abroad into their degree plan at Texas Tech University. We welcome students of all races and ethnicities who meet TTU Study Abroad eligibility requirements to participate in our programs. As a Student of Color, you may have some specific concerns regarding studying abroad. The Study Abroad team believes these concerns should be addressed early and should not prevent you from studying abroad if it is your desire to do so. TTU Study Abroad staff as well as program staff abroad can advise racially and ethnically diverse students about how to minimize negative interactions during study abroad.
To assist with what may be a challenging transition from your life in the U.S., our staff are committed to do the following:
- Utilize TTU's Cross Cultural Academic Advancements Multicultural Student Resource Center.
- Work closely with the Diversity Abroad Network and study abroad program staff to make clear during advising the opportunities and challenges for racially and ethnically diverse students.
- Share resources and information for Students of Color such as Diversity Abroad, All Abroad, Brown University's Diversity Issues in Study Abroad, the Glimpse Race Abroad Acclimation Guide, information for heritage seekers (students who want to study abroad to learn about their ancestry), this list of Top Ten Reasons for African American Students to Go Abroad, and Travel Noire which is a digital publishing platform that describes itself as “cultivated insight from a global community of Black travelers.”
- Partner with affiliate providers and host institutions that are also committed to providing support to Students of Color.
- Include discussion in advising appointments and pre-departure orientation about racial and ethnic identities as they are understood in new cultural contexts.
- Connect interested students with TTU's Cross-Cultural Academic Advancement Center to get involved in opportunities that “seek to broaden knowledge of diversity, multiculturalism, social justice, and inclusive excellence” before and after a study abroad program.
More useful resources will be posted to this webpage soon. Until then, please feel welcome to contact us at email@example.com.