Mandela Washington Fellowship Peer Collaborators Program
Texas Tech University is seeking peer collaborators from the Lubbock community for our visiting professionals participating in the Mandela Washington Fellowship. Our Mandela Washington Fellows are dynamic young professionals from 15 different countries in Sub-Saharan Africa who are participating in an executive education program at TTU for 6 weeks this summer. We are searching for local professionals who have a passion for their work and their community and would be willing to share their experiences with our Fellows. We are looking for community members who are:
- Professionals working in the Lubbock community
- Available for about 1 hour a week during the program period (June 19 – July 30)
- Interested in forming professional relationships with international Fellows
- Between the ages of 25 – 45 (similar in age to the Fellows)
- Open to providing insight into U.S. society and culture with the Fellows
Meet our fellows
Peer collaborators may enjoy this as an opportunity to share about their experiences, participate in intercultural exchange, and internationalize networking opportunities. Specific expectations for peer collaborators include:
- Connect with your Fellow (for example, an informal meeting over coffee) for at least one hour each week in person (phone or video conference meetings will be permissible if in person meetings are not feasible) between June 19th & July 28th, 2017
- Provide your Fellow the opportunity to share his/her experiences and share your own professional and personal experiences
- Connect Fellows to local resources for the Fellow’s development, such as additional networking opportunities or an organization that may be of interest to the Fellow
- Communicate with program staff if issues arise or clarification is needed
Become a Host Family for Mandela Washington Fellows!
The Mandela Washington Fellowship Program at Texas Tech is seeking members of the Lubbock community to get involved with the 25 young leaders from Africa who will be hosted at the University in the summer of 2017. The program seeks local families interested in meeting with the Fellows for fun, hospitality, sharing, and a meal. The program will match 1-2 Fellows with each host family on the available dates. Families can host dinners multiple times if they wish.
Host families provide a unique opportunity for Fellows to get introduced to the American way of life as well as share their culture. The program welcomes families of all sizes and urges different ethnic and religious backgrounds to get involved as well. In addition to this, we ask host families to complete an application form, as well as provide transportation for the Fellows to and from TTU campus. If you are interested in participating in this program as a host family, please complete Host Family form and email to email@example.com.