Windows 8 Availability to TTU Community
After extensive testing and evaluation, the TTU Information Technology Division announces the availability of the latest Microsoft operating system, Windows 8, for TTU faculty, staff, and students beginning September 10, 2013. Windows 8 includes the newly designed Metro interface to take advantage of the new touch screen technology, but can be utilized using the normal mouse and keyboard controls, as well. We provide this information for those who are interested in upgrading to the Windows 8 operating system; there is no requirement for anyone in the TTU community to upgrade at this time. Windows 7 will continue to be supported by Microsoft and the TTU IT Division.
For those interested in upgrading to Windows 8, Microsoft media purchases are available to TTU students, faculty, and staff, according to the terms of the Texas Tech University Microsoft Campus Agreement. Two versions of Microsoft Windows 8 media are available at the ATLC (west basement of the main Library building):
- Enterprise Version: For faculty/staff campus use on university-owned workstations, faculty/staff may pick up Windows 8 Enterprise 32-bit and 64-bit editions from the ATLC. Due to Microsoft licensing restrictions, Windows 8 Enterprise is not available to students or for faculty/staff work-at-home use.
- Professional Version: For student and faculty/staff work-at-home use, Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 32-bit and 64-bit DVDs may be purchased for $10 in the ATLC.
- Due to Microsoft activation requirements, Windows 8 is not available for download.
- Installing Windows 8 Enterprise on a system located off-campus or a personal system violates the terms of the Microsoft Campus Agreement. The resulting failed activation attempts will cause the system to display a message that the software is not legitimate and shutdown the computer each time the message is displayed.
- The version of Windows 8 Professional available through the TTU Microsoft Campus Agreement is an upgrade license only. The installation of this upgrade on a system that does not have a valid pre-existing license violates the Texas Tech Microsoft Campus Agreement. You are responsible for complying with license terms and conditions; failure to do so may result in personal liability.
- As with all site licensed software not distributed electronically, you must sign a license agreement and present photo identification at the time you purchase the media in the ATLC.
- Purchases must be made with cash or check only; we are unable to accept credit card payments at this time.
- Windows 8 includes the Internet Explorer 10 browser software. Not all TTU Web-based applications may be compatible with Internet Explorer 10. Please see Guide: TTU IT Division recommendations before upgrading to Windows 8 for more information.
- For more information on software license agreements for TTU, please visit the Technology Support website at http://itts.ttu.edu/itts/software.
Please make sure your system meets the minimum system requirements for Windows 8 before upgrading. Faculty/staff campus users are strongly encouraged to consult with their local IT support providers before upgrading their computers (or ordering new computers) with Microsoft Windows 8. For those interested in upgrading, we suggest that you consult the IT Help Central Windows 8 website as a resource - Guide: TTU IT Division recommendations before upgrading to Windows 8. For other questions or for further information regarding Microsoft software sales at the ATLC, please contact IT Help Central at (806) 742-HELP or email@example.com.