Anti-Spam Mail Techniques
No One at Texas Tech University or from Anywhere Else Should Ask For Your Password
TechMail, the TTU Information Technology (IT) Division's email service, provides sophisticated levels of filtering to all users. When an external user sends email to a TechMail user, the filter evaluates the content of the messages for recognizable patterns and assigns the message a rating based on the probability that the message is unsolicited commercial email or spam. This rating is called the Spam Confidence Level (SCL). Messages scored 0-2 will be delivered to the recipient's Inbox; those scored 3-7 will deliver to the recipient's Junk E‑mail folder; and those scored 8 and 9 are refused and returned to the sender. In addition to this automatic filtering, TechMail offers customer-managed filtering options at the client and server level to help manage unwanted and unsolicited email.
Specific Tasks related to Junk E-mail filtering:
- How to turn on server-side spam filtering in Outlook Web Access
- How to setup and manage Safe Lists Only filtering for the highest level of filtering available.
- How to enable Blocked International Top-Level Domain List in Outlook 2003/2007
- How to enable Blocked International Top-Level Domain List in Outlook 2010
- How to turn on/off Cached Exchange Mode in Outlook 2003/2007
- How to turn on/off Cached Exchange Mode in Outlook 2010
- How to add any spam that is delivered to your Inbox to the Blocked Senders List.
- Periodically review the contents of your Junk Email folder for messages
that you wish to receive
and add them to your Safe Senders List.
- Update Microsoft Office and Microsoft Windows
To avoid mailbox quota issues, junk email should be reviewed carefully, and then deleted or archived on a regular basis.
Three options exist to take advantage of our spam reduction technologies.
- Laptops and Workstations:
Outlook 2010 Cached Exchange Mode Configuration
Outlook 2007 Cached Exchange Mode Configuration
Outlook 2003 Cached Exchange Mode Configuration
Outlook 2003/2007 Non-Cached Exchange Mode Configuration
- All other TechMail Users (Outlook Web Access, POP, IMAP Users):
Outlook Web Access Configuration
IT Help Central will be glad to assist anyone with changing their settings. If you have any questions or need additional assistance, please contact IT Help Central at 806-742-HELP (4357).
Other third party solutions are available for those not using the TechMail and one of the above solutions. However, IT Help Central will not be able to support these other solutions.
Macintosh OS X:
For those choosing to use non-TechMail accounts, please refer to the information below.
Anti-Spam Mail Tactics For Other E-Mail Providers::