TechMail Size Limits
TechMail messages are restricted to a maximum of 100 recipients. This includes any recipients that are members of a personal distribution list. A server distribution list can be created if you routinely need to send a message to more than 100 recipients.
The size of an individual message is limited to 20 megabytes, which includes all attachments. If you need to send messages larger than 20 MB, consider using a compression utility like WinZip, TTU Instant Messaging, or transfer the file with FTP.
Options for sending a file greater than 20 MB:
- TTU Instant Messaging:
The easiest method for securely exchanging files with colleagues and students is
Microsoft's Office Communicator. Office Communicator allows simple
transfer of files with people on your Contacts list.
TTU student, faculty, and staff can download Office Communicator for no charge at the eRaider Web site.
- Web sites with upload/download capability: Faculty and staff often need to distribute a file asynchronously to a number of individuals. This can be
accomplished by placing the file on a class or departmental Web site.
- Secure FTP site: Secure FTP (File Transfer Protocol) can be utilized to transfer files from a number of different operating system platforms.
- Removable USB Flash Drives: USB Flash Drives, also known as USB keys, pen drives, jump drives, are simple ways to store and transport files from PC to PC. These drives are relatively inexpensive and supported on the majority of today's computers. Storage capacities continue to increase and are commonly found with 1 GB of storage or more.
- File transfer to CD-R or DVD-R
By default, messages in your TechMail mailbox are stored on the TechMail server. Because storage for mailboxes is a shared resource among all TechMail users, mailbox sizes are limited to one gigabyte (1024 MB).
If your mailbox exceeds 1 GB (1024 MB), you will begin to receive warning messages from the System Administrator. These messages are automatically generated, so you may receive more than one. The message contains some helpful information for reducing the size of your mailbox, but generally you should do the following:
- Empty your Deleted Items folder
- Remove unwanted mail from your Sent Items folder
- Deleted unwanted messages with large attachments
- Create a personal folder to store messages, especially those with attachments
To check your mailbox size please click here:
If your mailbox exceeds 1 GB (1024 MB), you will be prevented from sending any messages. If your mailbox exceeds 1 GB, you will be prevented from sending and receiving messages. If this happens, follow the steps outlined above, and then wait at least 30 minutes for full mailbox function to be restored.
Several options exist to allow you to send to a large number of recipients over 100.
- Use a mail merge, which sends individual messages
- Break the message up into several lists, each containing less than 100 recipients, and send messages to each list separately
- If this is departmental in nature, the department head could request one or more distribution lists and appoint them as the manager of the list. They could then add everyone they needed to the list (only users who are in the global address list could be added to the lists). The list would only count as one recipient.
- STEP 1: Open Outlook
- STEP 2: Go to File -> New -> Distribution List
Then, if there are users who are not in the GAL, they could either add them to the To: line individually or create a personal distribution list. Each of these recipients would count as one each, however.In fact, they could create a personal distribution list in Outlook and add the Global Distribution list to it, as well as all of the other members that are not in the GAL. Then, as long as the list has less than 100 recipients (including one recipient for each Global Distribution list), it will work.
Create a Personal Distribution List in Outlook: