Configuring Junk E-Mail Filters in Outlook 2003
To take advantage of this spam filtering option, you must be using Outlook 2003 and TechMail, the university's exchange email system. Once the Junk e-mail filter option is turned on, then the server side and client side filter options will begin to operate. Because of the Microsoft Campus Agreement that we have, this spam filtering solution is available for free to the university community. IT Help Central will be glad to assist anyone with changing their settings.
Please keep in mind that automated filtering of inbound messages does not actually read the message, but programmatically analyzes the contents, calculates the likelihood of the message being SPAM, and then delivers the message to either your Inbox or Junk E-mail folders based on the calculation. It is very possible that some messages you wish to receive will appear to be SPAM and moved to your Junk E-mail folder. Here are some recommendations for managing junk e-mail:
- Regularly check for Microsoft Office updates at http://officeupdate.microsoft.com. Apply all Junk Email Filter updates found after clicking "Check for Updates."
- Regularly review the contents of your Junk E-mail.
- If there are messages that should not be considered Junk E-mail, use either Outlook or Outlook Web Access to place the originator on your 'Safe Senders List'. Typically, these messages will be commercial notifications to which you are subscribed, and once on your safe senders list they will be delivered to your Inbox.
- Empty your Junk E-mail. This will permanently delete all messages in your Junk E-mail folder; they will not be archived or recoverable.
- Set your Junk E-mail filter level to "HIGH."
The filter in Outlook 2003 is turned on by default, but in order for the Junk E-Mail filter to function properly, Cached Exchange Mode must be enabled. Also, by default the protection level is set to Low, which is designed to catch only the most obvious junk e-mail messages. To use the Junk E-Mail filters in Outlook 2003 follow these instructions:
- Obtain and Install Outlook 2003
- Configure your Outlook 2003
client to connect to the TechMail servers
- Configure your Outlook 2003 Junk Email filters
If you have any questions or need assistance with managing Junk E-mail, please contact IT Help Central at 806-742-HELP.