Setup TTUnet VPN for Windows Vista
Please do not make any other changes to your configuration than those specified in these instructions.
STEP 1: Verify that your TTU Active Directory Account is Active:
- Go to
https://eraider.ttu.edu and sign in using your eRaider username and
- Under Active Directory Information, verify that your TTU\username (e.g. TTU\jdoe) is set to "Active."
STEP 2: Prior to configuring your VPN connection it is very important to install current service packs and
critical updates by going to Start > All Programs > Windows Update.
STEP 3: Click the Start Button. Right-click on Network and choose Properties.
STEP 4: Click Set up a connection or network.
STEP 5: Click Connect to a workplace. Click Next.
STEP 6: Click Use my Internet connection (VPN).
STEP 7: Type the following, then click Next.
- Internet address: vpn.ttu.edu
- Destination name: Any descriptive name you would like, such as TTUnet VPN
- Use a smart card: Uncheck this box
- Allow other people to use this connection: If you would like all Windows user accounts on your computer to be able to use this VPN connection, check this box. (Note that this option may require you to enter administrative credentials to proceed.)
- Don't connect now; just set it up so I can connect later: Check this box.
STEP 8: Click Create without entering any information into the fields.
STEP 9: Click Close.
STEP 10: Click Manage network connections.
STEP 11: Right-click on the TTUnet VPN connection and choose Properties. If you are prompted for administrative credentials, enter them to proceed.
STEP 12: Click on the Networking tab. Choose L2TP IPsec VPN as the Type of VPN. Click IPsec Settings.
STEP 13: Click Use preshared key for authentication. Type TTUnetVPN for the key. Click OK.
NOTE: The key is case sensitive.
STEP 14: Click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) so that it is highlighted, and then click Properties.
STEP 15: Verify that the radio buttons Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically are marked. Click the Advanced button.
STEP 16 : Uncheck Use default gateway on remote network. Click the OK button.
NOTE: Leave the box checked if you plan to access TTU online library resources, or to access both TTU and TTUHSC resources (such as shared calendars).
STEP 17: Click OK again. You should now be back on the Networking tab in the Properties window for the VPN connection.
STEP 18: Click on the Security tab. Select the following settings, then click OK.
- Security Options: Typical (recommended settings)
- Verify my data as follows: Require secured password
- Automatically use my Windows logon name and password (and domain, if any): Unchecked
- Require data encryption (disconnect if none): Checked
STEP 19: Close all windows so that you are back at the Desktop.
STEP 20: In the Notification Area (bottom-right corner of your screen), right-click on the network icon. Choose Connect to a network.
STEP 21: Under the heading Dial-up and VPN, click your TTUnet VPN connection once to highlight it. Click the Connect button.
STEP 22: Windows Vista will prompt for your credentials. Type the information as follows:
- User name = ttu\eRaider (i.e. ttu\jdoe)
- Password = Your eRaider Password
STEP 23: Click Connect to initiate the VPN connection.