Microsoft Office 2010 release
|NOTE: This announcment is no longer current and has been maintained only for archival purposes.|
After extensive testing, the TTU IT Division is releasing Microsoft Office 2010 to the TTU Community. Office 2010 includes a wide range of new features, including:
- A more customizable Office Ribbon, allowing users to add or remove any commands they wish.
- A new feature under the “Insert” tab, “Insert Screenshot,” allows users to easily capture a screenshot from their computer and place it directly into a Word document, e-mail, or PowerPoint presentation.
- More robust image editing tools, including background removal and artistic effects.
- Multiple changes to Outlook 2010:
- The Office Ribbon has been integrated into Outlook 2010.
- “Quick Steps” allow users to automate common tasks, such as moving an e-mail to a specific folder or composing an e-mail to a person or distribution list.
- “Sort by Conversation” allows you to consolidate long e-mail threads in a simple, easy-to-read manner.
- Social Connector allows you to see details about friends in your social network (such as Facebook or LinkedIn) directly from Outlook.
Please Note: Due to recent Microsoft activation requirements, we will not be permitted to deliver the Microsoft Office 2010 software through the eRaider account management website. Microsoft media purchases are available to TTU students, faculty, and staff, according to the terms of the Texas Tech University Microsoft Campus Agreement. Beginning on December 13th, Microsoft Office 2010 media is available at the ATLC (West Basement of the Main Library Building) for the following:
- Faculty/staff campus use on University-owned workstations - Office 2010 Professional Plus (no charge); and
- Student and faculty/staff work at home use - Office 2010 Professional Plus ($10 media fee).
A more inclusive breakdown of changes to Office 2010 can be found below:
|Feature||Office 2003||Office 2007||Office 2010|
|Office Ribbon for Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher and Access||X||X|
|Office Ribbon for Outlook and EndNote||X|
|XML-Based File Formats (.docx, .xlsx, etc…)||X||X|
|Easy Setup of "Outlook Anywhere" for Exchange||X||X|
|"Sort by Conversation" View in Outlook||X (limited functionality)||X|
|Simultaneous editing of shared documents via "Co-authoring"||X|
|"Insert Screenshot" feature||X|
|Advanced Image Editing Tools||X|
|"Quick Steps" for Outlook||X|
|Built-in Translator for Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook||X|
|"Ignore" Feature in Outlook||X|
|"Social Connector" Feature in Outlook||X|
|"Protected View" for Files Downloaded from the Internet||X|
|"Sparklines" in Microsoft Excel||X|