The K-12 Global Education Outreach [GEO] programs are designed to provide culturally relevant experiences for public, private, and home-school classrooms as well as community groups and organizations. Program information is located under the K-12 Programs tab on our website HOME page. This information is divided into several categories: K-12 Public Schools [Elementary, Middle, and High School] and Private Schools and Community Groups. Choose the tab that best suits your needs. From the pull down menus, you will be directed to pages with program descriptions. You can click on the image for a program which will redirect you to the registration page or choose the registration tab on the HOME page.
- All K-12 programming has been aligned with state and national standards [TEKS, CCRS].
- The K-12 team customizes your program based on your classroom needs, the availability of performers, and the standards.
- The K-12 team has studied the language of the TEKS and made adjustments to programming based on the grade level and needs of your students.
- Each K-12 program has a menu of basic options that are used to adjust programming for various grade levels.
Each program contains some of the following basic features:
- Introduction to physical and human geography using our 10'x12' floor maps of the continent or region using standards based vocabulary [grade level appropriate]
- Hands-on examination of artifacts from featured countries
- Virtual experiences through SKYPE! COMING SOON- ITV DISTANCE Learning with K-12!
- Families Video Series for featured countries
- Hands-on culturally relevant activities
- Cultural traditions and celebrations
- *Special Guests: Interaction with international students, traditional music, and dance performances. [*Performances based on availibility of international students or special guests.]
All programs MUST be reserved 2 weeks in advance. You can schedule a program by:
- Using the convenient REGISTRATION tab on the home page;
- Calling our office directly at (806) 742-3667;
- Clicking on a program image under the K-12 Programs tab on the HOME page.
- Upon receipt of your reservation request, a confirmation will be emailed to you. (If you do not receive the confirmation email within 48 hours, please contact our office.) If you need to make changes to your reservation [time, # of students attending, etc.], please contact us as soon as possible.
- A minimum of 15 students is required for scheduling a program.
Because many of our programs have a waiting list of schools wanting to participate, we request that you cancel no later than two (2) weeks prior to your scheduled program. At any time, if there are extenuating circumstances and you need to cancel, please notify us immediately by calling (806) 742-3667.
K-12 programs are offered at the International Cultural Center on the campus of Texas Tech University. We are located at 601 Indiana Avenue [4th and Indiana] - just behind the TTU Museum and across the street from UMC. We also offer our "On the Road Adventures" for schools that cannot visit the ICC, though we highly recommend bringing your students to our beautiful building for the full cultural experience.
- Some of our programming choices are not offered for "On the Road Adventures" due to their design. Check the program description- they are designated with a ♦.
- Special Guests are not part of the basic programming choices for "On the Road Adventures". Their participation is based on availibility.
- K-12 GEO programs are offered throughout the school year.
- Reservations for evening programs are available for community groups.
- Program times range from 1 hour to 1 ½ hours long
- Choose either a morning or afternoon time for regular programs. Timing can be adjusted to meet your classroom needs.
- For Special Programs and Events we usually offer programs from 9:30-11:00, 12:30-2:00, or 1:00-2:30.
- Summer Camp is offered in June [Additional information available on the Summer Camp tab of the HOME page]
One chaperone or teacher is required for every ten (10) students attending the program. Chaperones and teachers are responsible for monitoring student behavior during programs and when entering and leaving the ICC building.
*Note: There is no charge for chaperones or teachers to attend programs.
A small fee per student is charged for each program. These fees are used to provide lesson materials and cover additional costs for programming at the ICC and for our "On the Road Adventures". If you have questions or need additional information, please feel free to call the office @ 806-742-3667.
All programming costs are based on the chart below.*K-12 GEO has a contract with Lubbock ISD to provide programming. Therefore, there is NO charge for Lubbock ISD schools.
|TYPE OF PROGRAMMING||FEES PER PERSON ATTENDING|
|ICC/K-12 GLOBAL EDUCATION OUTREACH PROGRAMS: Programs offered to K-12 public, private, and home-school organizations at the ICC.||$1.50|
|"ON THE ROAD ADVENTURES": Programs offered to K-12 public, private, and home school organizations at their campus or designated location.||$1.50|
|Programming for Community Organizations and Groups [Youth or Adults] at the ICC.||$2.50|
*Note: There is no charge for teachers or chaperones to attend programs.
- The cost of your program is based on the number of students/people in attendance.
- There is no charge for teachers or chaperones for school programs.
- Fees are based on the chart above. The cost of your program will be included in the email invoice that you will receive following confirmation of your reservation.
- We accept checks or Purchase Orders. Payment can be mailed prior to your program to: ICC/K-12 GEO, Attn: Kelley Coleman; 601 Indiana Ave., Lubbock, Texas 79409-5004 or you may pay upon arrival. Payments must be for the exact amount of the program. Make checks payable to: OIA/K-12 GEO Programs.
Yes, accommodations can be made for persons with disabilities or special needs when you make your initial reservation or by contacting the office one week in advance of scheduled programming.
If your plans include being off campus all day and you need to eat your sack lunches before or after your program, we can make arrangements to accommodate you. If weather permits, students can eat outside or we can utilize one of the meeting rooms within the ICC building [Rooms based on availability]. Teachers and chaperones are responsible for monitoring student behavior during lunch time. Your group will also be responsible for cleaning up any messes or throwing away any trash during lunch time as well. K-12 staff will be on site to help supervise as needed. *Note: You must contact us in advance to make these arrangements!
*Note: Students will only be allowed to drink bottled water inside the building.
Unfortunately, due to our high volume of requests we cannot customize programming at this time. We offer a wide variety of programs to choose from and our basic menu of options allows some flexibility in creating a program that is just right for you and your classroom or organization's needs. If you have a suggestion for a program that you would like for us to offer in the future, please feel free to contact our office via email or phone.
We can no longer offer this as a free service due to the high cost of maintaining our artifacts and shipping the trunks. Our "On the Road Adventures" replaces the need for Travel Trunks. These "adventures" offer many of the same choices of programs seen at the ICC, but are delivered in your classroom instead. Most of our programming is offered for our "On the Road Adventures" unless otherwise noted in the program tabs. *Note: Programs not offered for "On the Road Adventures" are designated with an asterik*.
The majority of our items are donated artifacts from foreign countries that are both fragile and irreplaceable. Therefore, K-12 does not loan or check out any of its items.
- Special Programs and Events are scheduled on specific dates and require reservations for attending.
- Special Programs are part of the K-12 GEO yearly schedule. They are programs that highlight a special cultural celebration, such as- Dia de los Muertos or Weihnachtfest. These celebrations are scheduled to allow multiple campuses to attend. Reservations are required.
- Special Events are not part of the normal K-12 GEO yearly schedule. These programs highlight traveling artists, performers, and special celebrations that are hosted at the International Cultural Center.
- K-12 GEO offers a Summer Camp for youth in June. You can access information regarding camp by clicking on the Summer Camp tab found on our HOME page. The details and schedule for camp will be posted on the site in January of each year. We are always in need of volunteers for camp. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact our office before March 15th.
- K-12 GEO offers Teacher Workshops for professional development in collaboration with Lubbock ISD, Region 17 ESC, and the TTU Institute for the Study of Western Civilization in the Honors College. You can access information for these workshops by clicking on the Teacher Workshops tab on our HOME page.
- Programming resumes in August for Public, Private, Home School, and Community Organizations. You can access specific programming information under the Programs tabs for either Public Schools or Private Schools and Community Groups.
- Special requests by community groups/organizations for summer programming can be submitted by contacting our office. Due to the scheduling of Summer Camp and Teacher Workshops, requests will be considered based on the availability of staff and calender dates for programs.