Master of Science in Kinesiology
In Kinesiology, students must choose specific a area specialization. However, the faculty believe that the areas of specialization are intertwined and linked together by a common thread, the science of movement. We also believe that exercise is medicine. Whether the exercise is in the form of recreational sport or clinically prescribed exercise, the end result is the same, a healthier body and a sharper mind. Even though your degree will be a Master's degree in Kinesiology, students must choose an area of focus their studies among the following areas:
- The Clinical track is designed for students interested in working in allied health and/or wellness professions.
- Human Performance
- The Human Performance track is designed to prepare students for careers specializing in maximizing health and physical performance.
- Motor Behavior and Exercise and Sport Psychology
- In Motor Behavior and Exercise and Sport Psychology track we believe that all of these have shared educational foundations. Faculty members can guide students in choosing classes that are right for them; however, your research experience will be dependent on the research faculty member's area of expertise. We encourage you to look at the research area of the faculty when choosing your adviser if you are interested in doing a research project or a thesis.
- The Research track is designed for students interested in pursuing a doctoral degree in exercise physiology. These students are required to complete a thesis during their graduate program.
These tracks allow students to direct their learning experience towards their career goal. It takes typically two years to complete the minimum of 36 credit hours required to earn the Master's degree. Pre-requisites for the tracks include undergraduate coursework in exercise physiology. Leveling courses may be required for students not possessing a Bachelor's degree in exercise science.
From the time of arrival, each student will be partnered with a mentor/major adviser who will assist with academic, as well as, career planning. Each student's educational experience will include formal instruction enhanced with hands-on laboratory experiences. Our goal is to prepare outstanding researchers, scientists and teachers. To further enhance professional development, College and departmental scholarships and travel stipends are also awarded for the presentation of research findings and attendance at specialized regional, national and international research conferences.
- Core (12 hours) - must be taken by all students in the clinical, human performance,
and research tracks
- KIN 5315 Research Methods in Exercise and Sport Sciences
- KIN 5335 Cardiopulmonary Exercise Physiology
- KIN 5336 Skeletal Muscle Physiology
- KIN 5357 Applied Anatomy and Neuromuscular Performance
- Clinical track (15 hours)
- KIN 5330 Health Issues for the Active Female
- KIN 5303/12/13 Psychology
- KIN 5334 Clinical Exercise Testing
- KIN 5337 Electrocardiography
- KIN 5304 Clinical Internship (3 hours)
- Human Performance Track (15 hours)
- KIN 5317 Seminar
- KIN 5318 Biomechanical Assessment of Human Performance
- KIN 5353 Muscular Performance
- KIN 5355 Program Design for Strength and Conditioning
- KIN 5358 Ergogenic Aids
- Research Track (18 hours)
- KIN 5332 Applied Physiology
- KIN 5339 Lab Techniques
- KIN 6000 Thesis (6 hrs)
- KIN 7000 Reasearch (3 hrs)
- KIN 7104 PhD Seminar (3) +
Electives to complete 36 hours must be approved by advisor
Motor Behavior and Exercise and Sport Psychology
- Core (21 hours)
- KIN 5315 Research Methods I
- KIN 5303 Psychology of Sport or KIN 5312 Exercise Psychology
- KIN 5302 Motor Control or KIN 5305 Motor Learning OR KIN 5307 Motor Development
- Choose from any of the above course not taken or KIN 5316 Research Methods II or KIN 5301 Independent Study or KIN 7000 Research (12 hours)
Electives to complete 36 hours must be approved by adviser
Graduate Course Rotation
All courses are tentative.
Department of Kinesiology & Sport Management
AddressBox 43011, Texas Tech University, 2500 Broadway, Lubbock, TX 79409