Dr. Julie Morrow
Previous Employment and Experience:
- 1988-1989 Postdoctoral Research Associate, Texas Tech University. Developed immune
assays for use in swine and cattle. Studied the effect of stress and genetics on animal
health and immune function.
- 1989-1989 Postdoctoral Research Associate, Pharmacia LEO Therapeutics, Malmo, Sweden.
Research was conducted to determine the effect of a neuroleptic agent on behavior and
immune function in pigs.
- 1989 -1990 NIH Postdoctoral Fellow in Immunology, Boston University School of Medicine.
Research was conducted to identify the effect of stress on early immune events using a
- 1991-1994 Research Associate, USDA-ARS, Meat Animal Research Center, Clay Center, NE.
Studies were conducted to determine the physiological and behavioral consequences of high
environmental temperatures in cattle and central nervous system regulation of adaptation.
- 1994 Research Leader and Lead Scientist of the Agricultural Research Service Livestock
Behavior Research Unit. Responsibilities include initiating and developing a research
program directed toward understanding the relationship between animal behavior and
well-being. Research areas include identification of internal states of animal cognition
and perception and the development of indicators of well-being for food producing animals.
- 1984 Gamma Sigma Delta
- 1989 NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship Award
- 1994 Sigma Xi
- 1996 USDA-ARS Certificate of Merit
Publications 58 Total (14 articles, 26 abstracts, 18 reports):
- McGlone, J.J. and J.L. Morrow. 1987. Individual differences among mature boars in T-maze
preference for estrous or nonestrous Sows. Appl. Anim.Behav. Sci. 17:77-82.
- McGlone, J.J. and J.L. Morrow. 1988. Reduction of pig agonistic behavior by J. Anim.
- Morrow-Tesch, J.L. and J.J. McGlone. 1990. Sources of maternal odors and the development
of odor preferences in baby. J. Anim. Sci. 68:3563-3572.
- Morrow, J.L. and J.J. McGlone. 1990. Sensory systems and nipple attachment behavior in
neonatal pigs. Physiol. Behav. 47:1-4.
- McGlone, J.J. and J. Morrow-Tesch. 1990. Productivity and behavior of sows in level and
sloped farrowing pens and crates. J. Anim. Sci. 68:82-87.
- Jiang, C.G., J.L. Morrow-Tesch, D.I. Beller, E.M. Levy and P.H. Black. 1990.
Immunosuppression in mice induced by cold water stress. Brain Behav. Immun. 4:278-291.
- Morrow-Tesch, J.L., J.J. McGlone and R.L. Norman. 1993. Consequences of restraint stress
on natural killer cell activity, behavior and hormone levels in rhesus macaques.
- Hahn, G.L. and J. L. Morrow-Tesch. 1993. Improving livestock care and well-being.
Agricultural Engineering 74:14-17.
- Morrow-Tesch, J.L. and G. Andersson. 1994. Immunological and hematological
characterization of the wasting pig syndrome. J. Anim. Sci. 72:976-983.
- Morrow-Tesch, J.L., N. Woollen, G.L. Hahn. 1996. Alterations in circulating and
epithelial gamm delta T lymphocytes following heat stress in cattle. J. Thermal Biology.
- Morrow-Tesch, J., J. J. McGlone and M. Jarvinen. 1994. Evaluation of dendritic branching
from pigs in diverse environments. Abst. NATO Advanced Study Institute, Behavioral and
Brain Research in Naturalistic and Semi-Naturalistic Settings: Possibilities and
Perspectives, Maratea, Italy.
- Morrow-Tesch, J. 1995. Effects of environmental enrichment on group-housed dairy calves.
Abst. 2nd International Conference on Environmental Enrichment. Copenhagen, Denmark.
Send comments or suggestions to LIRU
Revised: April 18, 2008